• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Brindisi to Bologna

Canberra susie

Hello. In early October 2018 I will be finishing a tour in Brindisi and want to then go to either Venice or Bologna as my itinerary is still flexible. I am not keen to fly and looking at the train stops am trying to decide about an overnight or even 2 night stay. I am considering Termoli, Pescara, or Ancona and wondering if anyone could help with a suggestion. Thanks.

Hi Susie
As another thought, if the 1-2 night stay doesn't appeal...

~ a decade ago we did the night train from Ferrara to Bari (close to the reverse trip of what yours would be). We took the sleeping car option. I'm glad we did it, though not sure we would do it again (maybe on a more modern train)

+ves
  • Price-wise it's good, as you're saving on a hotel for the night
  • It is a memorable thing to do
  • Security seemed good - every ticket checked before entering the sleeping car carriage
  • The rolling stock was old, but the small cabins were clean and included a sink for brushing teeth etc.
  • For a small charge, the guard brought a basic croissant and coffee around on request in the morning. Nothing gourmet on either count, but it did help get us set for the car pick-up at Bari
-ves
  • You miss most of the views, except maybe the 30 mins before arrival
  • The heating was too hot for us, and (in that compartment) not adjustable, hence we had to open to window to cool down, but this makes a somewhat noisy journey even noisier
  • Best to use the toilets earlier in the journey, as they became messy by the time of early morning
  • Compartment was quite tight for space - fine when lying down, but a bit tricky when two people are trying to dig washbags out, get changed etc.
Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina