• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information British Airways flights cancelled today

Pauline

Forums Admin
BA is having problems with their computers and all flights are cancelled today from Heathrow and Gatwick. This will probably affect flights for several days.

From the BA website:

Welcome to ba.com
Following the major IT system failure experienced earlier today, with regret we have had to cancel all flights leaving from Heathrow and Gatwick for the rest of today, Saturday, May 27.

We are working hard to get our customers who were due to fly today onto the next available flights over the course of the rest of the weekend. Those unable to fly will be offered a full refund.

The system outage has also affected our call centres and our website but we will update customers as soon as we are able to.

Most long-haul flights due to land in London tomorrow (Sunday, May 28) are expected to arrive as normal, and we are working to restore our services from tomorrow, although some delays and disruption may continue into Sunday.

We will continue to provide information on ba.com, Twitter and through airport communication channels.

We will be updating the situation via the media regularly throughout the day.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this is causing our customers during this busy holiday period.

For anyone affected, there are set compensation amounts for delays of 2 hours and above. The airline should provide these on request. Here's a summary from the BBC site
  • If your flight departed the European Union or was with a European airline, you might have rights under EU law to claim if the delay or cancellation was within the airline's control
  • Short-haul flights: 250 euros for delays of more than three hours
  • Medium-haul flights: 400 euros for delays of more than three hours
  • Long-haul flights: 300 euros for delays of between three and four hours; and 600 euros for delays of more than four hours
  • If your flight's delayed for two or more hours the airline must offer food and drink, access to phone calls and emails, and accommodation if you're delayed overnight - including transfers between the airport and the hotel

Related to Ian's post, there is a company called Air Help, which makes it very easy to submit a claim for compensation. They do take 25%, but they do all the work for you, which was worth it for me. Mike and I got almost $1000 back a couple of years ago (after the 25% deduction) because our long-haul Air France flight was delayed overnight.

Obviously this will affect flights down the line. Since BA is the only Bangkok to Heathrow direct I am guessing our Wednesday flight may be full. Hoping we get a bump. We would be high on the list because we paid so little for our air fare.

Things seem to be moving now, albeit a third of flights are still being cancelled. Hopefully back to normal for you by Wednesday.

I was happy to find everything working smoothly and on time when I connected at LHR on Wednesday. Not so happy at first to find that the entertainment system on my AA flight to Dallas was completely down, but without a way to flip through channels I read my book and took a good long nap.

On the news today they said that BA told everyone affected to file claims with their travel insurance. Then the travel insurance people said the airline was responsible and now BA says to file claims with them (for extra costs, like meals and hotels).

I hope they have a big sale to try to win back their customers.

Hi there,

I don't want to waste my time on arguing with airlines, I've heard some of them just make excuses so they don't have to pay out compensations. It was TAP flight.

What company should I trust? AirHelp, Skycop?

Thanks!

See the post I just wrote about compensation. There is no arguing - it's the law.
Yes, I know, that it's the law, but what if airlines are not following it? I've sent a direct complaint, still waiting for at least the acknowledgment that my claim was received.

My travel friend and I both had smooth sailing with Lufthansa compensation in June. I used the website form, she just sent required info by email. 600 euro refunds each within a couple of weeks.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina