• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

British Election on Thursday

Pauline

Forums Admin
This is my simple, American-viewpoint, description of the May 2015 election in the UK. If you are a Brit, I apologize in advance for doing this.

We voted by mail, but most people go to their local voting place on Thursday to vote in our national election. We vote for our local MP - Member of Parliament - and the party with the most MPs is in power (sort of). There are 650 MPs in the UK, so 326 or more MPs gives a clear majority, except that some of the Northern Ireland MPs won't sit in Westminster (in protest) so really a party needs a few seats less to be a majority. (Read more about UK elections.)

Our election ballot was very different from those in the US where you vote for President, local politicians, judges, amendments to the constitution, local bonds, dog catcher, etc. Our ballot had a list of candidates (about six) and you marked an X for only one.

Steve and I arrived in the UK in May 2010 on the day of the last election. There was no majority government and it took several days for the right-wing Conservatives to form a coalition with the somewhat left-wing Liberal Democrats and take over the government. Labour has been in charge for many years, mostly under Tony Blair, but in the end it was Gordon Brown who lost for Labour.

Since then we have lived here with the austerity cuts enforced by the Conservatives - cuts to local councils resulting in cuts to local libraries, youth centers, social services, cuts to the NHS (national health service), cuts to taxes at the high end, and a raise in VAT (the tax added to nearly everything that you purchase - it is over 20% now). At one point they were going to start selling off the woodlands but thankfully did a "u-turn" on that.

Now we have the Labour party with Ed Miliband as leader running to take over. You may have guessed that I am a Labour supporter. One problem for Labour is Scotland. They used to vote in many Labour MPs but after the vote last year where they voted to NOT leave the UK, many people jumped from the Scottish Labour party to the SNP (Scottish National Party) who had brought them the independence vote. In Scotland, Labour is battling it out with the SNP for seats, but after the election the SNP is likely to support Labour to form a government (no coalition, or so Labour says).

The polls show Labour and the Conservatives very close, but with neither winning a clear majority. It looks now like the Conservatives will win more seats which means they could do a could do a coalition again with the Lib Dems. Or some more interesting combination of everyone but the Conservatives and UKip (our new very right-wing party) could happen.

The Labour leader, Ed Miliband, is very different from our American politicians. He is geeky, from a north London very left-wing Jewish immigrant family, he is an atheist, he and his partner who have two children got married only after he was elected leader of the party.

Go Labour! It will be interesting, if not very tense, watching how this unfolds.

(I might as well remove that forum rule of "no politics".)

And this is an example of exactly why I've always been in favor of allowing discussion of politics on travel forums! We (at least us slow travelers) want to know about the political goings on in the countries we visit, and a post like this is GREAT. As long as those who go a little bit crazy whenever they see a political statement they disagree with stay away (and that can be seen to if necessary), even a little civilized debate about this among those who know would be wonderful.

So, Pauline, do you have dual citizenship to be able to vote in the UK election?

There was an interesting article by Roger Cohen in the NY Times this morning. He says that if the Tories win, they have promised a referendum on Britain remaining in the EU, which might very well lead to their withdrawal.

This is our first national election but we have voted in local elections twice in our 5 years here. We came to live here as Irish citizens and they have special status in the UK (there is a special relationship between the UK and Ireland), giving us the right to vote.

I got my UK citizenship the year we arrived, based on my mother being born here, and Steve has applied for his, based on being married to a UK citizen.

The Scotland situation is upsetting to me. If they won the independence vote it would have been difficult to get a Labour government here because many of their MPs are from Scotland. But after the vote against independence the Conservative government did a few things to piss off the Scots and there was a big move of people into the SNP. I think the conservatives knew what they were doing. Now they warning against a Labour/SNP coalition.

... There was an interesting article by Roger Cohen in the NY Times this morning. He says that if the Tories win, they have promised a referendum on Britain remaining in the EU, which might very well lead to their withdrawal.
Excellent article except for the fratricide comment. Who cares that Miliband ran against his brother for the party leadership? Everything else was spot on.

Imagine if we spend the next two years obsessing about the vote to stay/leave the EU?

Thanks, Pauline. Very interesting. BTW, I agree with Chris re: allowing some political discussion. You can always exercise discretion. It just amazes me(not really the right word) all these cuts but London financiers get richer and richer. It is my understanding that properties in The City are not taxed so the uber rich don't pay property taxes. Is this true?

I didn't know Ed Milliband's personal history. Was he ever attcked while we were in Oxford.

Felicity.
Below is part of an article from The Telegraph
Take two properties in two Grosvenor Roads: one worth £200,000 and one worth £2m. There are many differences, but one startling distinction is that residents in the multimillion-pound house pay £1,000 less in council tax each year than those in the cheaper property.

That’s because people living in exclusive Grosvenor Road in Westminster, London, pay the least council tax in England. The occupants of Grosvenor Road in Weymouth, Dorset, pay the most, at £1,726 annually.

I may have gotten my facts mixed up but it remains that the mul tmillion dollar home owners pay very little taxes and those in less wealthy neighbourhoods pay more.

Ah yes. Councils differ wildly in banding and charges. But this has nothing to do with whether people are rich or not ( although of course the highest bandings pay more within the jurisdiction of the local authority). That is not the criteria. It is all under control of local authorities ( not central government) who run the budget for the council tax spending. Those who manage their money well against those who don't. Some of the poorest neighbourhoods can have the highest price increases - it is principally down to the people who are running the show, locally, and some councils are top heavy with bureaucrats taking large salaries and poor use of the money they have to spend on local services. This article, although from 2012 when the deficit was still there and the government (supported by Labour, who agreed on the necessity of freezing) had to freeze the budget to local authorities, illustrates the point http://www.thecommentator.com/artic...cy_and_pass_the_savings_on_to_local_taxpayers Now I don't want to get political here so I bow out but wanted to explain how it all works.

Last edited:
Council Tax is paid by the occupant of each house in the council district. If you rent, you pay it (in the US the owner of a property pays it, and it is passed on to the tenant in the price of the rent). The local council sets "bands" which are assigned to houses depending on their worth, but they top out low.

For example, I live in a small house in an expensive area. My council tax is Band F - £2217.34 per year (paid on top of my rent!). My neighbor lives in a house at least twice as expensive as mine and probably 4 times the size. That house is in Band G - £2558.47 per year. Not much difference between what we pay.

Some may argue that there are two people living on our house and two people living in the very large house next door, so why should we pay different? But in the US property tax goes up with the value of the house and does not top out, so people living in very expensive houses pay much more. However, most places in the US "grandfather" in people. I pay lower property tax for my house in the US because I have owned it for 25 years than someone would pay if they bought it from me - the value gets reset on a sale. So, in the US many people pay lower property tax. This was part of Prop 13 in California, but happens in many other places too.

The Labour party wants to bring in a "Mansion Tax" to make people with properties over £2 million pay more tax. Many properties in London are over that amount. I think it would make more sense to change how council tax is calculated, and don't have it top out so early.

I don't know how to do quotes
Hi Felicity! To do a quote, either click that REPLY link below the post you want to quote - that dumps the whole post into a quote at the top of the reply box - OR highlight the text you want to quote in someones post (as I did here) and you see a little popup option to REPLY.

There is even an option to create a string of quotes but that is needlessly complicated I think.

Today is voting day. The polls don't close until 10pm. In 2010 some people did not get to vote because they were in line but the polls had closed before they got to vote. This time if you are in line by 10pm, you get to vote.

We won't know the results until early tomorrow morning.

The Cotswolds and the whole south of England, is mostly Conservative (with a few Labour MPs and Lib Dems). Our district is Stroud and it was Labour from 1997 - 2010 (MP David Drew), but the conservative was voted in last time (Neil Carmichael). This time both are running and it is very close.

I can well understand why someone doesn't vote Labour. They don't have the best record from their time in charge under Tony Blair. The Conservatives are not as right-wing as the US Republicans and I agree with many of their policies. I might have voted Lib Dem if we were in a district where they had a possibility of winning.

It will be interesting to see how many seats UKIP get. They are gaining in popularity and are more to the right than the Conservatives. They want us out of the EU and to put in more regulation for immigrants (both from in the EU and outside).

My American/Canadian friends will know the results of the UK election before me, because the counting will all happen overnight here.

From the BBC website:

Exit poll - Polls close at 22:00 BST and the BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll is published. In 2010, the exit poll was pretty much spot on in its prediction of how many seats the parties eventually got. This time, however, the surge in support for the SNP and UKIP could make it a bit trickier for the pollsters.

Seat projections - There are 650 seats up for grabs. To form a majority government a party needs 326, although 323 should be enough because Sinn Fein's MPs don't take up their seats. If no party gets this, it becomes a question of who gets the most MPs - and how many seats their potential coalition partners get.

Huffington Post says we should know the results of the Stroud vote at 4am.

Ok, no more comments after this, I promise. But honestly I think Cameron is a donkey. He may not have gotten an out right majority but with so many resignations it might as well be tht way. I heard people being interviewed at the polls and it seems they felt there wasn't enough difference between the 2 parties and so many smaller ones confused things.

Certainly our property taxes are very different. Each province sets there own. Based on location and home and mill rate. There are many older people who pay way more than they can afford living in homes that hve increased tremendously in value. How they set the taxes is beyond me. Ottawa, being the capital we pay more than any other province but don't get more. So for example, we pay more in taxes on our home definitely worth under 1 mil than someone in Vancouver sitting on a multi mil property.
Landlords pay property taxes but usually get it back in higher rent.
Makes no sense.
Ok, I'm done here. Back to Italy:)

We turned on the TV at 8am hoping the exit polls were wrong - and they were. The Conservatives have a majority. No need for coalition. UKIP got a lot of votes but only 1 seat - they came second in many races. Lib Dems lost many seats. The SNP got nearly all of Scotland. Labour clearly lost.

Okay, I have to suck it up and admit defeat. Almost the entire southwest went Conservative. One Labour seat in Exeter, one (maybe a few) in Bristol. Our district, Stroud, brought back the Conservatives with a larger majority than in 2010.

On the positive - the Conservatives said no tax raises. And won't all the talk about the upcoming EU referendum be fun? Plus after two years of Cameron, the pundits say he will step down. That will be interesting (Boris anyone?). And at least UKIP didn't win much!!

There was an interesting article by Roger Cohen in the NY Times this morning. He says that if the Tories win, they have promised a referendum on Britain remaining in the EU, which might very well lead to their withdrawal.

And if that happens, there will be very strong pressure from Scotland for a second independence referendum so that they can stay in the EU. Which would mean the Conservative and Unionist Party that took over the Liberals opposed to Irish Home Rule and stood for the Union all through the 20th century, and took us into the EEC and then the EU would have collapsed the one and taken us out of the other. And all, given the turnout, the way the voters have spread themselves, and the way the electoral system works, on the positive support of less than a quarter of the electorate.

But you will be pleased to hear that the BNP (the motley crew of nationalists, racists and Holocaust deniers who threatened to win a fair few protest votes some years ago) got barely 1000 votes, less than the Monster Raving Loony candidates.

BBC News - Election 2015 has a detailed explanation of the election result. Looking at the percentage of votes (vote share) is interesting. This does not determine the number of seats won, but the percentage of people who voted for each party.

CON 36.9%
LAB 30.4%
UKIP 12.6% (up 9.5% since 2010 election)
LD 7.9% (down 15.2% since 2010 election)
SNP 4.7%
GRN 3.8%

Looking at it this way, I don't feel like I live in such a Conservative dominated country. The 12.6% who voted UKIP is worrying to me. Their platform was to leave the EU and stop EU and non-EU immigration. But, as @PatrickLondon says above, the BNP did not show up in the results - which is good.

Already today there is talk about another Scottish referendum.

When the Conservatives came into power, in the coalition in 2010, they made the biggest cuts in the first two years. I think they will be doing this again. My personal hero, Paul Krugman, had something to say about this in his NYTimes blog: Stop-Go Austerity and Self-Defeating Recoveries.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina