• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Budapest neighborhoods

BJinNM

10+ Posts
Okay, this is really early, but I just booked a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest for October, 2018. We will spend an extra week in Budapest and I am browsing maps, apartments, etc., in anticipation. For those who have been there, which neighborhoods should I be checking for apartments?

BJ

The Buda side (Castle Hill, etc) is lovely to visit, but the Pest side (downtown Budapest) is definitely better to stay in: shops, restaurants, cafés, and more). We're not exactly experts: just 5 nights there, about 6 years ago, and one night (playing a concert) a couple of years ago. My favourite source of information is the BVR website: we stayed in Apartment Olive, right in the middle of District V, and found it really convenient. Have a browse of his apartments, read his 'Opinionated Guide', and do come back with any more questions!

Thanks Jonathan! We will be there next September and are looking for a nice place to stay. Six nice apartments to choose from.

DD

Jonathan, we rented the Max apartment but John has just sold it. We are therefore going to stay in the Olive apartment, as you did. We are so looking forward to this trip.

BJ

Olive is very sweet - I hope you enjoy it. Are you going on the same river trip as Judy and Bill? We were just having breakfast with them this morning (wondrous waffles at the Brown Sugar Kitchen, Oakland), and they were mentioning Budapest - Bucharest in Oct.

Close and around the same time, but we are going from Amsterdam to Budapest. We miss them by a couple of days. Sad, as we really enjoyed being with them in Portugal. Hope your US trip is going well. You have been close to us but not quite here.
BJ

District 5 was very convenient. Very central, right in the middle of everything with fantastic public transport.

Budapest is absolutely fantastic.
Make sure to go to Fisherman's bastion just a bit before sunset. The whole area, and the views from there at night are gorgeous.

We did Amsterdam to Budapest two years ago and loved it so much that we then did Prague to Budapest for the Christmas Markets the same year. Fabulous trip on AMA Waterways whose cabins all have both open and French balconies. Sitting on our balconies during the summer going through the locks was wonderful. This last trip we did a wine tour in Budapest and it was fun. We also hopped on the train and went to Salzburg and spent a few days there. Easy trip to maneuver to. Would do it again, especially the Christmas Markets in Prague and Budapest...and maybe Regansberg, too, if we didn’t have a lot of other places on our bucket list to visit. The Hop on Hop Off buses in Budapest were so helpful and regular that we didn’t need to Uber anywhere. Enjoy this trip. We stayed on the Buda side both times, directly on the river. It was so beautiful coming home to the wonderful view that we had over the Chain Bridge.

Did you stay in apartments, Cricketttt? We're thinking about Budapest for next fall (2019). My guess is that we would enjoy the Buda side as we have liked staying on the "other side of the river" in other cities.

The Buda side (Castle Hill, etc) is lovely to visit, but the Pest side (downtown Budapest) is definitely better to stay in: shops, restaurants, cafés, and more). We're not exactly experts: just 5 nights there, about 6 years ago, and one night (playing a concert) a couple of years ago. My favourite source of information is the BVR website: we stayed in Apartment Olive, right in the middle of District V, and found it really convenient. Have a browse of his apartments, read his 'Opinionated Guide', and do come back with any more questions!

Thanks for the information and the leads, Jonathan. We're beginning to plan our first trip to Budapest for next fall (2019). We're thinking about staying on the Buda side (to relax!), but I'll check the BVR website and look at District 5.
Peg

Three more days and we are at the end of our river cruise and starting our week in Budapest. The cruise has been great! Definitely recommend it. Thanks for the tip about the hop-on, hop-off buses, Cricketttt. We will definitely look into that. WiFi on the trip has been weak so the blog is not up to date, but the Prague part is and the rest will be posted (it's already written). BJ and Alan's blog

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina