• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car hire pick up from Rome to drive to Assisi?

misstravelbug

100+ Posts
Hi

would you choose on a Saturday to pick up a car from:

via Sardegna

Baldo degli Ubaldi

Termini

Tivoli

Ponte Milvio

Just looking a easy access to the highway we need to take to Assisi outside the ztl.

Thanks.

I'm most familiar with via Sardegna, good once I've familiarized myself with the route out. I'd avoid Termini or Tivoli.

We returned our car to the Termini location on a Saturday this past October because the Via Sardenga location closed too early for us...about noon-1pm. This probably will not be a problem for you as you will most likely be picking your car up in the morning to drive out of Rome, but just an FYI in case you were planning to leave Rome in the afternoon.
And a belated thank you to Andrew who was so very helpful last year in helping us sort out where to return our car. His information and suggestions were so valuable.

Thank you both, Mom83 we are leaving around 10/10.30, but good to know!
Andrew, I think we will go with that one for ease of leaving Rome.

I've rented from Via Sardegna and Tiburtina when driving north and both were easy. The Via Sardegna location is closer to the center of town so that would be my preference. It's a small street and a lot quieter than the Termini locations, which I think would feel a bit like jumping immediately into the scrum when pulling out of the lot.

Andrew, apologies for hijacking. We're planning on picking up our Rome car rental at Ciampino since we've dropped off there and know we can get right on the highway to Pienza. Via Sardegna would certainly be a closer pick-up but the thought of driving anywhere in Rome center makes us more than a little anxious. Is the drive out from there pretty straightforward or are there a lot of city streets to negotiate before the highway?

In the past we've pick-up at Europcar's Via Tiburtina location before it moved to the Tiburtina train station but I have no information on what to expect at that location.

Thanks.
Carole

One thing to note about the via Sardegna location is that, for Hertz at least, the office where you do the paperwork is just over a block from the garage where you get the car. We had a taxi driver who went to the garage first and needed to circle to get to the office. At the garage at via Sardegna 38B, used by most of the companies, I'd say NOT to start the way I find on Google Maps, I'd say rather take via Sardegna to via Piemonte, the first left you can take. After it crosses over the high-speed Corso d'Italia, via Piemonte ends at via Pinciana, where you turn right. There's a fork where you keep right, otherwise follow the flow of traffic and you eventually find yourself on via Salaria, which meets the GRA where you stay for a short time and then join the A1. Follow that on the map and I don't think it's too complicated.

Andrew, thanks for the details so something to consider. We are renting with Europcar which is at Via Sardegna 51 so very close to Hertz.

Carole

The Street View indicates that's an office without any dedicated parking, so you'd be sent a block away to the garage at 38B. There's a Europcar sign there on Street View.

Do you really need a car? Assisi is pretty quick and easy by train via Spoleto. Parking can be expensive in Assisi and there's a regular bus from the station up the hill. One of the nice things about that part of Umbria is its public transportation options.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina