• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car hire

baggins82

Hi all.
I am travelling to lake Garda in April and am flying in to Milan Linate airport. I am hoping to hire a car but looking at reviews it’s an absolute minefield. Any recommendations of “good” and dare I say “reasonably priced” car rentals? Looking at the reviews I came very close to cancelling my flights and driving all the way

I don't know about the options specifically at Linate.

In general, when you use a search engine like Kayak or AutoEurope or Booking.com, it will return a lot of Italian-only rental companies.

These have had notoriously poor reputations over the years, like claims of being charged for damages after returning the car.

But even international rental companies like Sixt or Avis are franchised to local owners, especially on islands like Corsica and Sardinia.

So they all have generally poor reviews.

However, I tend to stick with the known brands, which generally will have offices and facilities right at the airport, whereas these local brands, you have to take a shuttle from the airport to the office about a couple of kilometers away.

I've only once been dinged with additional charged after returning a rental and that was in France with I believe Sixt. In any event, my Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa covered it, after a long process of submitting documentation.

Otherwise, my theory is that even though these are all locally-owned rental offices, at least with international companies like Sixt or Avis, you can try to go to their corporate and plead your case.

Also the other consideration is that your credit card issuers would recognize these international brands but if you put in a claim against a company like Locauto or Sicily By Car, to give a couple of examples, you might have an easier time of your claim being approved.

If your trip is 3 weeks or more, the short term lease-buy back programs (available in Milan airports) automatically include zero deductible insurance coverage. Program usually offered through AutoEurope, Peugeot, Renault, or Citroen.

The rates for all the rental options were high when I booked last month. Would suggest checking back periodically to see if you can find a better rate and rebooking (reminder to myself to do this). Also, get the smallest car you will be comfortable in. Driving and parking are a lot easier when you fit in more easily.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina