• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car Rental 2021

NoSpin: Actually mine (I have a Sapphire Reserve, not Preferred, but I'm not sure that matters) doesn't seem to say that. Instead, the document tells me the name of the underwriting insurance company. Doesn't change your point though.

However, I did notice the following statement about coverage exclusions that I'd never seen before:
"Vehicle rental periods that do not exceed nor intend to exceed 31 consecutive days".
As I said in another thread, I knew that more than a 30 consecutive day rental period blew the coverage, but I'd never seen the "intend to..." phrase which, to me, says that if they find that I've rented for another period directly before or afterwards, that would show enough "intent" to cancel the coverage.

Steve, I just looked up the Reserve card and it has the same fine print at the bottom of the page.

I didn't see the "intend to ...."part, but that is a good catch. You know insurance companies will use any excuse to deny a claim. I agree with you, that is their out if a renter turns in a car and then turns around and rents it again, particularly if it is done the same day.

I had Autoslash check for price decreases; at midnight our time they emailed that the rental we'd booked at $1080 for 17 days had gone down to $927. When I started my computer time around 10 a.m., it had gone back to close to the original price and wasn't worth rebooking.

Some odds and ends:

I copied the picture of the Panda from an Auto Europe/Europcar quote, that quote has a 2-door logo (also says 3 passengers), and a 4-door economy quote in the same request is priced higher.

Chase Sapphire Preferred's terms say:
review the Rental Car Agreement and decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW) option or a similar provision. Accepting this coverage will cancel out Your benefit. If the rental company insists that You purchase their insurance or collision damage waiver, call the Benefit Administrator for assistance.
The quote that I have from Budget found from Autoslash/Priceline/AARP has a line saying CDW included, without breaking it out as a separate line item. I understand it probably has a high deductible, which isn't specified. I understand it's similar if you book Auto Europe's Inclusive (not zero deductible) rate.

Also today again I got an alert from Autoslash that the rate had gone down; I got to it faster and was able to get the savings.

So, I heard back from Luigi and his price for a car is still 30 euro daily, cash. Yes, I must pick it up and drop it off in Orvieto but being on the train line makes it so easy. I had a friend review the insurance when I first started renting from him and it compared to what I was getting from Hertz Italia. Always clean, usually new cars, mostly fiat panda's or comparable.

Ticket is bought, plans are jelling; mid-Sept to October, just about a month. Got a good deal on business class on TAP Portugal. Reviews were OK so I will be interested to see if they truly have stepped up their game. Wish I could stay as long as Barb n Art but have to get back to my practice and my Nana duties.

Anyway, it will have been 2 years since my last trip which will make this trip seem like a whole new experience for me, after 24 years of twice annually. I did miss one spring trip due to work load but then made up for it with another year of 3 trips. Gotta go while the going is good and I still have all my faculties!!!

A presto, tutti

OMG, Andrew, thank you! I've never seen the website. They were recommended through a friend about 7 years ago and they are my "go to".....haha, who knew they had a real website! Yes, they always ask for my card but prefer cash when I get the car and it reduces my price. Like hotels, they don't charge unless you use it at pick up.

@Andrew , I have a question about Autoslash. I competed the info, including what cards/memberships I hold, but when it came time to book the car it was done directly from their site - i.e., I wasn't directed to Priceline etc as it seems you were. I made the booking knowing that I could cancel, but I'm confused about why my process was different from yours.

I think when I first used Autoslash some years ago they gave results that called for booking through their site, but my more recent searches have given a list of results on their site, which then have a button saying "Pay later with Priceline," redirecting to PL. I don't know if some feature of the search makes the difference.

I haven't cancelled my original booking with them yet, and today the rental first quoted at $1090 has gone down to $891.

I've been checking back with AE and Kemwell every few days, just to see if anything's changed, and today I found a Dacia for lease thru Renault for $250 less than our current rental. The car is a little larger, and it's a lease, meaning zero deductible, same as the Panda rental. AE has to contact Renault to verify that there is a car available, so for now I still have the Panda on hold.

I also discovered that although I can rent a car through the Canadian site, AE cannot lease cars to Canadians, which is why I never saw that option on the Canadian site.

I also discovered that although I can rent a car through the Canadian site, AE cannot lease cars to Canadians, which is why I never saw that option on the Canadian site.
Well that's very discriminatory! :D

BTW, we Americans still can't get into Canada.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina