• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car rental over 70 yrs?

milgreen2

100+ Posts
You know you're old when.......

Another rude awakening when my husband and I got serious about booking our car rental for upcoming trip to Sicily. Since he just turned 70, there's a chance that the rental agency could refuse to rent to him, or may add on a surcharge. Plan B will be for me to rent the car (we'll both bring International Drivers Licenses, in any case), but just wondering if anyone has experience getting to the rental desk and having age be an issue.

We'll be picking up a car at Hertz in Taormina, arranged through Auto Europe.

Steve turned 70 a few years ago and we always rent cars in his name. On AutoEurope they ask when booking and I tick the over 70 box and put in his age. There doesn't seem to be a change in price. But I have been thinking of renting cars in my name now because I am younger. We always pay for second driver so we can share the driving, so it won't make much difference. We have never had anyone ask at the desk about his age.

But what do we do when we are in our 80s????

when we're in our 80's maybe we'll decide we're worth the splurge of arranging private drivers for our trips :) . I know a lot of folks are nervous about driving abroad, and Sicily seems to get a bad rap, but jeez Louise, driving services are expensive.

Car rental over 70 yrs?

You want to rent a car for 70 years!? You probably should just buy the car. :D

I've run into this recently, but I haven't seen any increased rate due to my age. From what I've seen I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina