• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car Rental - Zero Deductible?

Wow, that is cheap. I'll have to look at AE Canada next time. I never thought to try them.

Renault Eurodrive is offering two specials this month -

I know (ok, hope) this thread may need to be refreshed soon, but in checking car rental options through Autoeurope’s site for various 5 - 6 week stretches this summer, the options seem much more limited and very expensive. The site seems to offer almost exclusively the French 5 passenger car short term buy/lease program. I’ve never gone that route so I don’t know what a reasonable price would be. That does include zero deductible which I always purchase anyway though I now have a Chase Sappire Preferred credit card (but maximum coverage on that card is 31 days). Anyone have advice/opinion about my best options if travel to Italy is allowed?

I don’t know if this is still true but US credit cards don’t always cover Italy for car rental insurance. And these days they still try to sell you insurance at the counter for under carriage and windows which somehow is not included in complete coverage.

We’ve done long rentals through AutoEurope without leasing but not lately.

Compare with other car rental sites like Hertz or Europcar or Sixt. That should give you some prices to compare.

I know (ok, hope) this thread may need to be refreshed soon, but in checking car rental options through Autoeurope’s site for various 5 - 6 week stretches this summer, the options seem much more limited and very expensive. The site seems to offer almost exclusively the French 5 passenger car short term buy/lease program. I’ve never gone that route so I don’t know what a reasonable price would be. That does include zero deductible which I always purchase anyway though I now have a Chase Sappire Preferred credit card (but maximum coverage on that card is 31 days). Anyone have advice/opinion about my best options if travel to Italy is allowed?
I suggest you check autofrance.net and renaultusa.com. They are French cars but you can pick the car up in Italy.

Hertz.com when quoting a rate in Italy gives the option of Super Cover. It says "to waive your already limited liability in case of damage to, or theft of, the Hertz vehicle, its parts and accessories, including those losses resulting from collision, vandalism, theft or attempted theft"; I'm not sure if that's quite the same as zero deductible; they list several types of driver negligence that would negate the coverage.

Hertz.com when quoting a rate in Italy gives the option of Super Cover. It says "to waive your already limited liability in case of damage to, or theft of, the Hertz vehicle, its parts and accessories, including those losses resulting from collision, vandalism, theft or attempted theft"; I'm not sure if that's quite the same as zero deductible; they list several types of driver negligence that would negate the coverage.
I'm always concerned about the parts that are vague - the fine print always favors them, not us!

Best price I can find for about 6 weeks (45 days) zero deductible mid-June to end of July is $1350 USD via the short term lease/buy back program with Renault.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina