• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Food & Drink Cassis recommendation requested

elizbuth

10+ Posts
We will be in Cassis for a few days before flying out of Marseille, and it’s a few years since I’ve had good bouillabaisse. I’ve seen reviews for “vrai bouillabaisse” at several restaurants and hope I can get a recommendation from you trusted travelers. Chez Gilbert, Restaurant Calendal, and Le Bonaparte are places I’ve seen mentioned for their bouillabaisse. Any experience at these or other restos?

Hi Elizabuth,
We ate at Chez Gilbert two summers ago. The bouillabaisse was amazing according to my husband; I have a shellfish allergy so I didn't partake. Presentation was gorgeous, though! And I have to say that perhaps the best thing I've EVER eaten I had here - truffled scrambled eggs. Appetizer?!

Make reservations, it's Cassis and it's busy. It is also expensive, the view is fabulous and service exceptional.

We have also eaten at Le Bonaparte, another fine restaurant. My husband had the soupe au poisson there and loved it - but it wasn't a vrai bouillabaisse. Le Bonaparte felt cozier/homier than Chez Gilbert, for what that's worth.

Both places were recommended by two different families. One that has a house in Cassis, and one that lives not far out. Both families are French.

I hope this helps,
Laura

Thank you so much for your detailed response! I love this forum for the advice possible from real people with real experiences. I only get bouillabaisse every 5-10 years, and I was hoping someone could give me advice about the best place for it in Cassis. I made it once, and will never do that much work again. No wonder it's costly in restaurants.

I agree! This forum has helped me find the best places to stay, the best places to eat, the must-see sites and all from personal experience and the heart. I love it here!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina