• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Catania area to Puglia

RachelP

10+ Posts
Hello wise ones,
I am trying to work out the best way to get from Sicily, vicinity of Catania, to Puglia. Ideally I want to stay in Otranto, but would be happy to make a stop or two if needed. AND, it must be by train or bus. Train preferred.
It seems there is not a direct route and even doing lots of different searches, I am getting some crazy trips with 7 changes! Would be open to a one night stop somewhere on the way, or two even, if it was somewhere relatively nice. I am travelling around September this year (hopefully) and will be with a 10 y/o and a 15 y/o. Wondering if someone has done this and has any suggestions of the most efficient way to 'get accross'. Many thanks! Rachel

You can book a train from Catania to Brindisi or Lecce. There are 3 train changes. It's a 14 hour train ride once a day (actually 10 at night to noon the following day) Brutal but I am old
Recommendations for a day stopover. If it was me I would head to Napoli then take the local to Caserta and visit the Royal Palace and gardens based on Versailles. (Closed Tuesday). Option B is Pompeii. They have opened a whole new area this year with some spectacular murals.
From either of these locations book train to Lecce and then bus to Otranto. It's 100€.
Or rent a car and drive.
Check out flights to Brindisi or Bari (Brindisi is your closest airport). Then train/bus to Otranto. That is probably going to be your cheapest option.
For a unique experience the ferry crossing the strairs of Messina? Where they put the train on the ferry? Amazing.

Thanks to you both. Thanks Mary, we have gone the other way (mainland to Sicily) via train where it simply drives on to the ferry! Such a unique trip. I love your suggestions and will have a look into them. The way things are I really prefer to stay out of airports, hence my liking for trains. Mainly to do with the business and delays etc.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina