• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cell phones in italy

ncp

10+ Posts
We’ll be in italy for a month and are wondering what everyones doing these days. We have iphone 12s (Verison) and are planning on buying an italian sim once we get there and from time to time put our US sim in the phone to check messages. Does that work these days or do you have a better plan. Last time we were there was 7 years ago. We have wifi where were staying.

Thanks!

you might also consider an eSIM, which you can download beforehand and activate upon arrival. there are various plans based on length of time and amount of data. we used to switch out our physical SIM, but on a recent trip abroad (not Italy, full-disclosure) I purchased an Airalo eSIM for the country I was visiting and it worked great! You can still keep your own number for FaceTime and WhatsApp, and use WhatsApp for voice and video calls as well.
we're traveling to Puglia in a couple of weeks, and my husband and I both purchased eSIMS from Airalo for Italy. we'll be there 18 days, so we bought a 30-day plan, with 20 gigs of data -- this should be enough for google maps, etc. during the day when we're out and about, as we'll use wifi in our accommodations. but should we need additional data, we'll be able to top-up through the Airalo app.

Yes, eSim is the way to go, you no longer have to switch out the sim in your phone. iPhone 11 and up have eSim in addition to a physical SIM. iPhone 15 and later purchased in US are all eSim -- you can have six of them, but only two active at any one time. The Italian carriers still require you to visit a shop in person in order to buy an eSim (I have TIM, 10 euro a month plus had to buy the eSim), but there are also many companies like Airalo (that I haven't used) that offer eSims good in all of Europe.

We have used the TIM Tourist plan the last few trips to Italy. 30 days, 100GB of data, unlimited talk in Italy and 100 international minutes for 24.99 euro. We use WhatsApp for messaging, photos, and talking with our kids back in the US. Depending on your entry point, a TIM store may be conveniently located nearby. https://www.tim.it/en/landline-mobile/international-calling/from-italy/tim-tourist
Verizon runs $10 a day for their travel plan and you are only charged for the days you use it.

There's a TIM store in FCO before you collect your luggage and in Florence right near the Duomo on Via dei Calzaiuoli. I used TIM Tourist for years before switching to T-Mobile with a plan that includes high speed data in Europe. Your iPhone 12 does support an eSIM if you're interested in that option.

Thats great, we’re flying into fco and the minutes of talk time included in the tim plan could be useful. Ill do a little more research on the current tim options before deciding. I read today that you pay less if you buy on line and pick up in any tim store but it was a post from several years ago so plans may have changed.

I haven’t ever used the voucher. I just make a copy of the webpage with the offer and take that into the store. That way you’re not locked in. I also go to TIM stores rather than vendors who sell a variety of providers.

Yikes! So do you go to the Tim store and get a physical sim or an esim? They have a great 20euro offer going now.

If costs were the same, it seems like it would be more convenient to have an eSIM so you would not need to bother removing your physical Verizon SIM - especially if you were planning on swapping to it occasionally to check messages on WiFi. Make sure your phone is unlocked as well. You might want to familiarize yourself with how to set up and use an eSIM as a secondary SIM before you go.

Reactions: ncp
We have had older phones in the past, so always had to switch SIM cards at the TIM store. With an iPhone 12, you'll have your choice of physical SIM or eSIM. I totally agree with GailS. No worries about losing the physical SIM and if you have the Verizon Travel Pass set up ahead of your trip, you can activate that SIM in case the eSIM stops working or to check your voicemails on your regular number and then deactivate it so that you're only paying on the days you use it. We have iPhone 15s now, so will be getting eSIMs on our trip later this year.

With the Travel Pass activated, you could be using Verizon (for $10) on the day you fly in and until you get to the TIM store for your eSIM. The advantage of waiting until you're there is that you might find a better deal with another carrier such as Wind/Tre beforehand (though TIM has always been best for us).

Reactions: ncp
So, in the past we always got an Italian sim and physically put it into our phones. Last year we had new phones from TMobile. When we went to the TIM store they said our ESim would activate within an hour and we went to lunch and drove onto our next destination. It never activated! I called TIM and they said it looked good on their end. So, I called TMobile. The phone--new iPhone 14pro--was not unlocked because we were paying for it as part of the monthly bill. I raised hell with TMobile because I had asked them time after time, at every step of the transaction, if my phone would be unlocked. Finally they consented to give me the international plan on my phone for no charge. It worked great but the aggravation was not worth it. This year (going in the fall) I will pay for their international plan in advance of our trip.

Great point, Jan. Verizon locks all new iPhones for 60 days after purchase whether paid in full or on monthly installments. NCP can double-check by going to settings>general>about>scroll down to "Carrier Lock" and it will say "SIM locked" or "unlocked."

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina