• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Checking in!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I don't know how others find the time to post pictures and stories while traveling! I'm find.ing it extremely difficult just to keep up with the photos I take - I try to download them from my camera every day into folders, delete the bad ones, and if possible, rename and post to FB and/or Flickr, but I'll admit I've fallen behind.

Our 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland flew by. We moved more than we usually do, but if you want to see as much of Ireland as possible, that's what you have to do. We spent our first 4 nights in Dublin. Took some walking tours, and made one daytrip via bus to Newgrange - well worth it. On Saturday we took the Aircoach back to the airport to pick up our rental car. I'd booked round-trip on the bus to and from the airport, but in retrospect I'd just as soon pay a little extra and take a cab to the airport - it was a large, tour-group sized bus, with plenty of luggage storage underneath, but unfortunately in the city, with traffic, luggage could only be loaded from the sidewalk side, and it was very crowded and difficult to get our suitcases in. Additionally, once we got to the airport we had to catch the rental car shuttle, which added more time. Sometimes it's worth it to pay for time-saving 'splurges' like a taxi.

We then spent 3 nights in Kilkenny, 2 nights each in Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle, 4 nights in Galway, then our final night at the Holiday Inn Express Dublin airport. Our biggest splurge was to hire a private guide for a tour of the Ring Of Kerry. This allowed Art a day off from driving and a chance to sit back and enjoy the scenery. We used Paul Brown and were more than pleased with his services.

When moving from one accomodation to another we tried to sightsee along the way, and on most occasions that meant Art got the next day off while we stayed in 'our' town for the day. The driving wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be, and as expected, our most stressful moments came when we were in a city - even a small one! - because traffic was a bit more congested and I had to (try to) read signs and give directions very quickly. So far we're still speaking.

I'm posting photos to Flickr as I get time, and trying to post a few each day on FB. We're now in Yorkshire, and are heading to a fireworks competition tonight! More later...

Hi artnbarb
I've taken both Aircoach and taxi between Dublin and the airport. Taxi certainly quicker, but aircoach was better for those days I was travelling on my own. We did have a favourite taxi driver, but I doubt I have his details any more.
Dublin city centre traffic could be awful at the wrong time of day, and pretty quickly we always learned to avoid rush hour, as it could double the duration of the journey.

As for photo, write-ups etc. I generally don't take many photos now, and only make notes if/when I have a quiet half hour and the appetite to do so. I really have tried just to enjoy the holiday for the moment, and accept that I won't have photos in later years to jog the memory.

Regards
Ian

I like to write notes at the end of each day and only upload a few photos. I deal with all my photos when we get home, uploading to my computer and organising them.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina