• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Copenhagen for 4 days

Peabody

10+ Posts
We will be picking up a cruise next year in Copenhagen and plan to arrive early to spend a few days to get over jet lag and see something of the city. Any suggestions of restaurants and tours would be most appreciated!

We've been to Copenhagen a couple of times (one of my favorite places) and although I don't have any specific tour or restaurant suggestions, here's a list of places I would suggest.
  • Tivoli Gardens
  • The National Museum - has a spectacular collection of Viking artifacts
  • Rosenborg Slot (castle) built by King Christian IV and home to the Danish Crown Jewels
  • Christianborg Slot and tour the Queen's reception rooms
  • Amalianborg Slot (the Queen's residence)
  • Walk along the Strøget pedestrian shopping street
  • The Danish Resistance Museum
  • Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek - the national art museum
  • You can wander through Christiania for free and see all the alternative-lifestyle people - best to leave your camera in your bag, since they don't like photos.
Here's a link to the first of my series of blog posts about København.

Thanks Bruce, your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. We will be staying near the Tivoli Gardens and are very excited to spend some time in city having only been there once for a day trip.

I was just there, and my best days were: A trip to Roskilde by train, about 40 minutes, to see the great cathedral and the marvelous Viking ship museum; and to Helsingor, the other way, about 40 mins. by train, to see the castle and Maritime Museum, which is just tremendous.
Rosenborg Slot was great too; as is the Danish Design Museum, which has a good café.

We've been to Copenhagen a couple of times (one of my favorite places) and although I don't have any specific tour or restaurant suggestions, here's a list of places I would suggest.
  • Tivoli Gardens
  • The National Museum - has a spectacular collection of Viking artifacts
  • Rosenborg Slot (castle) built by King Christian IV and home to the Danish Crown Jewels
  • Christianborg Slot and tour the Queen's reception rooms
  • Amalianborg Slot (the Queen's residence)
  • Walk along the Strøget pedestrian shopping street
  • The Danish Resistance Museum
  • Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek - the national art museum
  • You can wander through Christiania for free and see all the alternative-lifestyle people - best to leave your camera in your bag, since they don't like photos.
Here's a link to the first of my series of blog posts about København.
Christiania have guided tours in English, although I think, the best way to see it is on a bicycle

We get in late afternoon on a Sunday. Plan on taking the train from the airport into town then walking to the Marriott. Will probably check in and get a light meal outside somewhere before getting some sleep. If we are up for it (doubtful) will go to Tivoli. The plan for Monday is to get an orientation by taking the HoHo in the morning. A nice lunch followed by some free time for wandering then off to Tivoli if we have not already been. On Tuesday, we plan to take Richard's morning walking tour (thanks artnbarb) which sounds like a lot of fun. We will leave the afternoon free to explore (Rosenborg maybe). We have a big dinner that evening at 5 PM and will try to stroll around Nyhaven a bit after that. Wednesday we board the ship but will use the morning to go to the Carlsberg brewery. Any comments to make our plan better are always most welcome. Thanks all!

May I suggest lunch at Tivolihallen.dk or Kanalcafeen.dk. Both in easy walkingdistance from Marriott and Tivoli. And both serving very good traditional open sandwiches. Reservation essential

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina