• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Provence Côte d'Azur Trip Report

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We had a wonderful week getaway on the Côte d'Azur the first week of October. Not sure it would be classified as Slow Travel with the length of stay, but we experienced so much (good & bad) in our short stay. Travelling with close friends we never got in a hurry, nor did we just sit on the apartment balcony watching a day go by.

The trip report is in blog format so below is a quick introduction for each day and a link with a picture. Enjoy the blog.

Day 1 – Destination Nice

Our arrival and check in and discovering the beauty of Nice as we stroll the Promenade des Anglais. A big thank you to Slow Europe Member Lisa in Ottawa for the Nice Pebbles recommendation.

D1-001.jpg

Day 2 – Exploring the Wine Region of Bellet

We hired a driver and headed to North West of Nice to France’s smallest wine region. We visited three different wineries each providing a unique experience - An established family run winery that is part of an historic castle; A corporate winery in a 300-year-old chapel; A small family run winery and fruit farm where our stops for the day.

D2-001.jpg

Day 3 - Exploring Hilltop Villages and the Countryside

A very special day as we head to Hilltop Villages. Unbelievable views, smells, and a great meal all awaits us. We used Tour by Locals for the first time and were very pleased with the service they provided.

D3-002.jpg

Day 4 - The Day Tom’s Load got Lighter

Our day trip to Menton turns bad when I got pick pocketed getting on the train in Menton. Yes, we had been warned and yes, we took lots of precautions, but when the pros come after you most of the time they win. A beautiful town with lots to see, but as a day kind of a bummer.

D4-001.jpg

Day 5 – Eze Living

Today was our foodie day. Heading up to the small walled village of Eze to experience an amazing lunch at La Chèvre d’Or. The narrow paths and steps of the village allowed us to walk off our meal. As the sun was setting, we strolled the Port of Nice all the way back down Promenade des Anglais.

D5-001.jpg

Day 6 – Nice Day in Nice

We have been bouncing all over the Côte d'Azur, and spent very little time enjoying the city of Nice. It Sunday and we decided it would be a Nice Day in Nice.

D6-001.jpg

Day 7 – Checking Off Everything Off the List

The day no one likes. It is our last day, and there is still much to see and do. The goal for today is to see the things we wanted to see, but just to enjoy ourselves and this wonderful place we have been visiting.

D7-001.jpg

And then….

D7-002.jpg

Last edited:
So glad you enjoyed the trip. You accomplished alot in a short time. I must try Tour by locals. Thanks for the trip report.

Hi Colo
Thanks for the heads-up about the Bellet wine region post! Very interesting for somewhere I'd heard about, but never tasted or even seen a bottle of it. A wry smile from me that they too are reverting back to amphorae - that and qveri and tinajas are very much intertwined with the natural wine movement. Whilst I'm always a little uncertain of what to expect from such wines, I'm always happy that the wines won't have a coating of oak to the flavour profile.

Now I just have to remember if Braquet is the same grape as Brachetto from Piemonte, or whether the similarity in name was misleading!

Regards
Ian

Last edited:
I think the two grapes are related but DNA slightly different.

The folks in Bellet will say no relation.

The apartment was the Imperial on rue de France.
It is about an 8 to 10 block walk to old town, but there a few prettier walks in the would.
Take a look at day 1 and 2 of the blog where I cover the location and the features of the apartment.
I would not hesitate to recommend the place and give Nice Pebbles high marks.

Thanks. We will be staying in their "Rivoli" apartment in February, which looks to be fairly close to where you were.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina