• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome COVID test in Rome for travelers

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We're leaving in just a few short weeks and will be Coming back to Canada at the end December, leaving from Rome. I am looking for a place where we can get a PRC test, which is required to re-enter Canada. I have been Googling for an hour and everything I find is either in Italian or looks like a scam.
Would anyone know of a place (pharmacy, clinic, hospital, etc.) where we could get this done (preferably in English!)? Thanks in advance!

Ask your hotel for the name of a local pharmacy conveniently located which can perform a molecular-PCR test. If possible, ask them to book a time for you.

Ask your hotel for the name of a local pharmacy conveniently located which can perform a molecular-PCR test. If possible, ask them to book a time for you.
Unfortunately, we're staying in an Airbnb. I suppose I could ask the owner if he has suggestions.

Yes, I saw that one, but I don't speak Italian. I see there's something near the Pantheon, which would be great.
A good trick for this is to have Google Translate enabled in your browser. It will automatically translate the page for you. This is of great value when researching a trip, as many of the local/national websites are very good.

Hi,

We just came back on 30 Oct, and we got PCR tests in Rome at Lifebrain Giarnieri. There are several locations, and the one we went to was at Via Po 43 - 00198. It cost 55 euro, and we booked on line. It took about 3 minutes and we had the results the next morning. Totally easy and professional. They had tolerable English I think but we did it in Italian.

You get a link to go to, and a code to access the site. Then you enter another code based on your log in, and then you can stumble around and get the results. Those instructions are in English on the email that you will get. It was not too difficult and it got us onto the plane home.

I can't remember the bus number to get there, but 'the google' will help with that.

It may also come up under the doctors in Italy link above.

I copied and pasted this directly from the Rome Airport in Fiumicino (FCO) - website:

"At the Terminal 3 Arrivals area, everyday a swab service from 00:00 until 17:00 (molecular swab) and from 00:00 until 20:00 (rapid swab) can be provided for all passengers departing from or arriving at Fiumicino at especially low prices, thanks to an agreement signed between Aeroporti di Roma and Istituto Spallanzani:

€20 for an antigen test, obtaining the test result within 20 minutes;
€69.88 for a molecular test"

Hi,

We just came back on 30 Oct, and we got PCR tests in Rome at Lifebrain Giarnieri. There are several locations, and the one we went to was at Via Po 43 - 00198. It cost 55 euro, and we booked on line. It took about 3 minutes and we had the results the next morning. Totally easy and professional. They had tolerable English I think but we did it in Italian.

You get a link to go to, and a code to access the site. Then you enter another code based on your log in, and then you can stumble around and get the results. Those instructions are in English on the email that you will get. It was not too difficult and it got us onto the plane home.

I can't remember the bus number to get there, but 'the google' will help with that.

It may also come up under the doctors in Italy link above.
Thanks for the info, Damon! Do you think it's better to book in advance or do it once we're there? Also, when booking online, do we need to pay right away as well? We're flying back on December 30, so we would need to go on the 28th, I guess.

Last edited:
HI @Christian
Sorry to be slow in replying. We booked appointments in advance but it was about six days or so. There were earlier times available, so it was not a problem getting a test time that worked for us. I'm certain we paid at the time of the test. Our PCR test was 55 Euro, but prices vary.

We flew back on Oct 30th and had our tests on Oct 28 at 2:30 pm. Results were in our email by the time we woke up the next morning. We saved pdf's or screen shots to our phones, and everything worked at the airport and for our ArriveCan app.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.44.19 AM.png

My experience in October was that the labs took 26-36 hours but there were several pharmacies with ties to a doctor and it took just 10 minutes for results.....Pharmacies seem to be plentiful places for testing.

But if the tests done at pharmacies are rapid antigen tests, those aren't valid for entering Canada. That country describes "accepted types of molecular tests":
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

But if the tests done at pharmacies are rapid antigen tests, those aren't valid for entering Canada. That country describes "accepted types of molecular tests":
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
got it!

So we ended up going to LifeBrain (the one behind the Vatican). It was quick and easy, cost 55 Euros and we got the results about six hours later. Thanks all!
Clearly, when it comes to the PCR test, timing is everything, but we can only control so much. Our flight to Frankfurt where we connected for Florence was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day due to high winds. Because of that, our test results expired and we had to scramble to find a place near the airport to get an "express" PCR (at high costs!). Quite the ordeal.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina