• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Do You Re-Confirm? When?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Because we wanted to upgrade we've had our tickets for summer travel since last September. Our dates were determined by where we wanted to go, so I've had all our accommodations set for quite a while too. I want to re-confirm with our rentals/hotels, but I don't want to wait too late in case there IS a problem (Yes, I'm a pessimist). We're visiting Italy and Slovenia. Do you all re-confirm reservations, and if so, when? Thanks!

I re-confirm all accommodations a week before. For vacation rentals where I have not direct contact with the owner when booking, I phone the local contact number a few days before to make sure I have the right number.

If you booked way ahead, I think re-confirming a month before is a good idea.

I think I"ll re-confirm everything by email, but wait until we get to Italy to call the places in Slovenia - that way I can use my Italian cell to call, and it'll still be several weeks out in case there is a problem or the number is wrong.

The last time we visited Italy in the fall or 2012 we had an outdated phone number for our apt contact in Florence and if we hadn't had a cell phone I don't know what we would have done! Even with a phone it was pretty stressful!

I always worry about turning up at a vacation rental to find they are not expecting you. Do you remember that it happened to David on ST? He arrived in Le Marche at the vacation rental but had the wrong phone number for the contact and could not reach them. He spent two nights in a hotel until it got figured out!

We once arrived at the car rental desk at Heathrow, after an hour in a long line, to find I had not finalized the AutoEurope booking. They had a car, but were almost sold out (it was a Saturday in July), and it was an expensive last minute rental.

And once in Tuscany we were staying two weeks in a place, but the caretaker was screaming for us to get up and out on the Saturday morning when we still had another week there.

These stories are much funnier when they happen to someone else, or with the passage of time! And I still feel so stupid when I make a rookie mistakes - which still happens. Maybe now they're 'senior moment' mistakes!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina