• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dordogne/Perigord?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We are looking into a trip to France in mid/late September = our usual plan is to fly to Paris and hop the TGV and get to wherever it is we can/want to go and then have a rental car, gite or some such and drive around and see things focusing on the small towns and other things that we ought to see. We've been to a variety of places in France [and Italy] doing that and now I'm interested in an area we have never visited = Dordogne/Perigord. We will have roughly 10-14 days so we can either lodge in two places in that region, 1 for one week and the other for the next, and then explore from each or find a 'central' location and just meander from there. So the first Q I guess is should we just stay in one place and venture forth from there, or find lodging in two places and use each as a central point from which to explore? And any suggestions for either? Thank you!!!!!!

I posted some links to my trip reports on the post about looking for St Cirq before I read this one.

Good luck.

Thank you -- I'll hunt them down!!! Everyone is so helpful!!!

I've been to the Perigord many times (we host a week-long trip there) and know it quite well. I always enjoy spending time there. The Dordogne is a very large departement and the driving can be slow on small roads.

When we did our research trip (3 weeks), we tried to experience as much as possible so we could decide where to base and what to include in our week. I would suggest buying a guidebook (Michelin Green Guide is great) and get a sense of what you can see or do in the region... there's obviously the archaeological sites, outdoor activities (canoeing, hiking), 1001 chateaus, beautiful gardens, lovely towns, outdoor markets, small villages, and great food. To the west there's the wine region around Bergerac... a very long day trip from Sarlat. I'd get a sense of what most interests you and see if there's a natural base.

I like the idea of staying two weeks in one place... if you're very interested in the archaeological sites, then you'd want to stay somewhere near Sarlat. But otherwise you could stay one week in that area and then the second week more to the west.

Many people do like staying in Sarlat because it's busy and has lots of choices for eating out. There's also a fabulous market on Saturdays, but there are markets in other places too. I prefer staying somewhere less touristed and maybe easier in-and-out (though I do like Sarlat) and I'd prefer staying in a smaller place, ideally in a smaller town or large village where you can walk to dinner when you want to go out and where there's a supermarket and boulangerie. It may depend on what rentals you find.

I'd be happy to offer suggestions as you narrow down some possibilities. It's a very diverse, beautiful and interesting area. I'm looking forward to being back next year.

Thank you so much == I'll do more research and will ask Q then === my husband really enjoys the small town life and people so we probably wouldn't stay in Sarlat for that reason. But as you say, there are other choices. Thanks much!!!

Kathy- We are doing a few days in The Dordongue and have booked in Sarlat for two days before going to catch the TGV in Bordeaux. I did that so I could go to dinner without driving but if there were another town where we could do that I would love some suggestions. Sarlat seems so touristy and crowded.Also, getting in and out to tour around seems daunting.

Sarlat is a special place, and there are many options for accomnmodations and restaurants. There aren't so many people there in the evenings if you are staying overnight. And I'm sure your hotel will have parking recommendations. For those who want to visit there for the day, arrive before 10 am. There are parking lots on the outskirts. Sarlat is busiest on market days. The Saturday market is wonderful, but it attracts a lot of people.

Some people enjoy staying down on the Dordogne River (La Roque-Gageac, Beynac, Domme), and these places also attract lots of visitors midday during the busier months. We based once in St. Cyprien for two weeks (in a rental), and we stay in Montignac with our groups.

Sarlat is a special place, and there are many options for accomnmodations and restaurants. There aren't so many people there in the evenings if you are staying overnight. And I'm sure your hotel will have parking recommendations. For those who want to visit there for the day, arrive before 10 am. There are parking lots on the outskirts. Sarlat is busiest on market days. The Saturday market is wonderful, but it attracts a lot of people.

Some people enjoy staying down on the Dordogne River (La Roque-Gageac, Beynac, Domme), and these places also attract lots of visitors midday during the busier months. We based once in St. Cyprien for two weeks (in a rental), and we stay in Montignac with our group
We decided to just stay in Sarlat. Good advice. Thanks.

If you're going in September you might want to pick up our brand new guide to the our area (where we live actually!.. it's out 1 July) https://www.bradtguides.com/product/dordogne-lot-1/

book.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ciao.
Our favorite village "bases" in the Dordogne are Limeuil and St Léon sur Vézère.
In fact both are near Sarlat mentioned above, but are not so overrun.
Both villages are France's listed Plus Beaux Villages, from which you can do gentle canoeing in really breathtaking landscape.
Limeuil is actually on the confluence of two rivers.
Another village I like for a longer stay is St Cyprien en Dordogne (or en Périgord). (There are other villages called St Cyprien). The reason I prefer this village for a long stay is bhat it has a real life outside of tourism, with good butchers and good bakers, besidesi being just as central located in Dordogne as the other two villages mentioned above.
I love the Dordogne for the food (foie gras, lamb, duck, goose), the beautiful villages, the canoeing on a beautiful river, the prehistoric caves. You will have a fabulous time.

We just returned from Paris and the Dordogne. We did wine tour in Bordeaux that I found somewhere here. It was expensive but wonderful. It was early in the season so many stores were not open. We stayed at several hotels and they were fine but not fabulous. Lacausx 4 was great. I was dubious since it was all a repro but they did a great job. Only one English tour a day and so we had to work around that. The food whether at a small cafe or fancy restaurant was wonderful. TGV was easy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina