• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dublin Museums

Rome Addict

100+ Posts
I actually have family who emigrated during the "mini-famine" 1879. I am looking for recommendations on which museums cover the famine no punches pulled. No cutesy, make it work for the kiddies. I know family died in the great famines. I would like a better understanding of the economics, political and agricultural policies that created this Tsunami of misery and death. Dublin for 3 days, Cork for two and drive the West coast for 5. All recommendations appreciated.

There is the famine memorial on Custom House Quay in Dublin and you can visit the Jeannie Johnson, which was one of the ships that carried famine families to America. I don't know when you are in Dublin, but there os also the Irish Potato Famine Exhibition which runs until 30th Sept 2017.

The best famine museum is supposed to be the one at Stokestone Park, however I've not visited so can't advise on what it is like. I also don't know it would fit into your itinerary.

There is also the tiny famine cottage on Slea Head, Dingle Peninsula. This is definitely worth a stop if you are driving the Dingle Peninsula. The cottage is set on the hillside above the road and surrounded by the old fields. In some ways there isn't a lot to see, but we found it very moving.

Again, I don't know how this fits into your itinerary but there is also the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh. This covers the stories of Ulster Protestants (rather than Irish Catholics, although the problems facing them are the same) who emigrated to America in search of a better life. The museum traces families from Ulster with the reconstructed cottages they lived in, a ship they sailed across the Atlantic in ( each family was allocated a sleeping and living area about 6' square and there was no guarantee where they would land as it all depended upon wind and tides...) There are also reconstructed buildings where they lived once they reached America. The problems of adjusting to a completely new way of life were brought home to us when we started to talk to the excellent costumed interpreters who explained the women had to completely rethink feeding the family as they now had a diet of maize rather than potatoes... We found it fascinating and spent a whole day here. You can see some pictures here.

thanks for the info. We will be there the 9th and 10. Taking off in the afternoon of the 10th. Off to Cork to track down some family records.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina