• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dublin

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We're going to Dublin in mid April, and want to arrive a day or two early to acclimate. Jet lag is tough for me. We've spent time in Dublin before, and have toured/seen many of the most famous sites. We haven't been to the Guinness tour because neither one of us likes Guinness.

So - if we just have one afternoon/ early evening before our tour, what's the one undiscovered gem, OR, what's the one place we should return to? If we arrive 2 days early that gives us an entire day, and less pressure to do or see as much as we want.

The Dublin Castle doesn't seem to be that big a draw, there must be a reason why. Something to do with the jail seems to be very popular, but I'm not even sure what it's called! Thanks for any tips - I'm hoping I can convince Art to arrive 2 days early.

Perhaps one of the pubs that have live music in (albeit not in the temple bar area - they're rarely
Irish musicians). The Brazen head may be a little touristy, but not too bad and the musicians are genuinely local. It is properly historic.

A glass of wine and some nibbles downstairs at Fallon & Byrne. It's a pleasant cellar setting.

If you like real ale / international beers, against the grain (11 Wexford St, Dublin) has a superb selection.

Worth seeing what exhibitions are on. I recall an excellent one covering the potato famine and fight for independence.

St Stephens Green isn't huge, but is a pleasant stroll and there's also the nearby Iveagh gardens (Clonmel/harcourt st)

Morton's is a popular sandwich bar (Station Building, Hatch Street Upper, Saint Kevin's, off Harcourt St) where they make them to order. Very filling and a nice option for a picnic in the above gardens. Alternatively if there on (IIRC) a friday, there used to be a lunchtime paella stall at the end of those 'under the arches' shops, and it was rightly popular. Very tasty indeed.

A real Irish pub night would be a blast, but IMO, hard to find in the central area we'd like to stay in. For this visit I want to be as centrally located as possible, yet far enough away from the Temple Bar area to get a good night's sleep!

Last summer we stayed at Buswell's, near St Stephens Green. It's a bit pricier than we usually go, but the logistics were perfect. This time I think I'd like to be a little closer to Temple Bar, just not right in it. But I still don't know what to DO - but thanks for all of the ideas on where to eat!!! ( sorry, you did recommend exhibitions!)

Last edited:
We're going to Dublin in mid April, and want to arrive a day or two early to acclimate. Jet lag is tough for me. We've spent time in Dublin before, and have toured/seen many of the most famous sites. We haven't been to the Guinness tour because neither one of us likes Guinness.

So - if we just have one afternoon/ early evening before our tour, what's the one undiscovered gem, OR, what's the one place we should return to? If we arrive 2 days early that gives us an entire day, and less pressure to do or see as much as we want.

The Dublin Castle doesn't seem to be that big a draw, there must be a reason why. Something to do with the jail seems to be very popular, but I'm not even sure what it's called! Thanks for any tips - I'm hoping I can convince Art to arrive 2 days early.
You’re probably referring to Kilmainham Gaol, link at https://kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/
I wanted to go when I was in Dublin several years ago, but the line was too long. If you like Irish history, it’s supposed to be quite good. It was a long walk from St. Stephen’s Green where we were staying, so we took a taxi back.

Yes, Kilmainham Gaol, is the one, and you're right, it is a bit far out, but certainly seems to be popular. But then so is the Guinness tour and I don't give a fig about that one! I'll add it to my list and we'll see how I feel closer to our departure.

And yes, @Eleanor , we have been to Newgrange - highly recommended as a day trip for anyone spending time in Dublin.

I am taking notes on these posts as Aer Lingus is beginning nonstop flights from Cleveland to Dublin next May…we are planning to go. We spent 3 weeks in Ireland in 2007, but only visited the western areas. I so appreciate all the suggestions being given to artnbarb above!

There are plenty of places to visit around Dublin. The Wicklow Mountains to the south of dublin are lovely. One of my favourite places is Gledalough, a lovely early Christian site. It makes a good day out with Powerscourt House and Gardens.

Linked in with a trip to Newgrange is Hill of Tara, seat of the High Kings of ireland. Trim isn't far away and is an attractive town on the river with a ruined castle and abbey.

To the south are Wexford and Waterford. On the way stop off at Kilkenny which is very popular with visitors with its ruined castle. It also has a cathedral. Black Abbey was a Dominican Priory with a very chequerede history but is still a place of worship. Roth House and Gardens is also worth visiting.

Further west is Cahir and Rock of Cashel....

There are plenty of places to visit around Dublin. The Wicklow Mountains to the south of dublin are lovely. One of my favourite places is Gledalough, a lovely early Christian site. It makes a good day out with Powerscourt House and Gardens.

Linked in with a trip to Newgrange is Hill of Tara, seat of the High Kings of ireland. Trim isn't far away and is an attractive town on the river with a ruined castle and abbey.

To the south are Wexford and Waterford. On the way stop off at Kilkenny which is very popular with visitors with its ruined castle. It also has a cathedral. Black Abbey was a Dominican Priory with a very chequerede history but is still a place of worship. Roth House and Gardens is also worth visiting.

Further west is Cahir and Rock of Cashel....
Yes, we visited all those places and more when we did our grand tour of Ireland a few years back! We spent a week in Dublin, then 2 weeks driving along the east coast, back up the west coast, then back to Dublin. What I'm looking for this time are a few hidden gems in Dubin itself. And yes, we've also visited Trinity College. I'd rather have a list of 10 things to see/do and only have time for 2 than to just wander with no specific places in mind.

And regarding Kilkenny, I said it when we were there, and it still stands: I could see myself living there!

Art drinks beer occasionally, but doesn't like Guinness at all, and neither one of us are gin drinkers. Luckily we both like Irish whisky!
Okay. Well in that case there are two suggestions I have.

There is a newish distillery experience in Dublin, but it's an old brand. They are called Teelings and are based in Newmarket.

There is also very nice craft brewer in the Dublin 8 district. It's called Rascals and is very accesible from the city. In fact, you could incorporate it with a visit to the Kilmainham Gaol museum.

Let me know if you want any more information, would be delighted to give you some pointers.

Okay. Well in that case there are two suggestions I have.

There is a newish distillery experience in Dublin, but it's an old brand. They are called Teelings and are based in Newmarket.

There is also very nice craft brewer in the Dublin 8 district. It's called Rascals and is very accesible from the city. In fact, you could incorporate it with a visit to the Kilmainham Gaol museum.

Let me know if you want any more information, would be delighted to give you some pointers.
Thanks - I do have the Teeling Distillery on my list, and I guess I should start thinking about booking that Gaol tour!

Thanks - I do have the Teeling Distillery on my list, and I guess I should start thinking about booking that Gaol tour!
If you're considering Kilmainham Gaol, there is a Hilton right across the road.
Nearby attractions include:
  • Kilmainham Hospital, historic building now home to the MOMA.
  • Rascals Craft Brewery.
  • Stillgarden Distillery.
  • Richmond Barracks Museum.
  • War Memorial Gardens at Islandbridge, with pleasant gardens and Liffey-side picnic opportunity.
  • Phoenix Park, largest walled urban park in Europe.
    • twice the size of Central Park in New York, USA.
    • home to two herds of wild deer.
    • features visitor centre at Farmleigh house, formerly owned by the Guinness family.
    • location of the residence of the US ambassador to Ireland.
    • location of the residence of the President of Ireland.
    • location of Dublin Zoo.
  • a little further in the other direction, you can go see the only fully in tact Norman castle in Ireland with a flooded moat and filming location for tv series such as The Tudors.
I will add one point of note. This area is outside the main city centre and therefore quite a bit more residential. However, if it interests you, I'm happy to help you a more if you need further information.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina