• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Enough time? LHR to Paddington station

Kathy

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We'll arrive at London Heathrow at 7:20 am on April 19. We've decided to go on to Penzance (Cornwall) that same morning and will splurge on first class on the train and hopefully get some sleep on the five-hour trip. There's a train from Paddington station at 10:03; the next one isn't until 12:03 and is more expensive. (We could wait in the first class lounge at Paddington, but makes a long day even longer.)

We'd plan to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington. We'll have to retrieve checked bags, as we're traveling for 3-1/2 months. Do you think we'd be safe to book the 10:03 train? These would be 100 GBP tickets (each), so I'd hate to miss the train...

Hi Kathy
Heathrow Express is every 15 mins and takes 21 mins. I've always found it reliable. There is a walk between platforms at Paddington, and also from Terminal to train station. Probably 5 mins for each, but let's say 10 mins each for safety. Thus if you clear passport & baggage collect before 9am, then I think you'd be safe to get to Paddington on time. For me the train isn't the risk here, but rather
- the risk of a delayed flight
- the risk of delays getting through passport control (we've waited well over an hour in the queue before). That's assuming you're not traveling on European Union passports, where the queue is much faster.

Compared to that latter risk, the checked bags are unlikely to be a problem.

What would I do? A very tough question. In the majority of instances, that timing would be ideal/comfortable. However there is a small chance of missing the connection. I think on balance I'd take the risk, but it is a difficult decision.

Assuming you'll be in the non-EU passport queue, ask the flight attendant on the plane for a landing card. Fill this in on the plane and carry it with you when you walk towards passport control. It saves rushing to find them & fill them out when you hit passport control. This can easily save 5 mins, as you'll be able to head straight to the queue.

If the plane arrives on time, relax, as you should have plenty of time to clear the airport and get to Paddington. I think I'd only start getting concerned if I'd not arrived by 8am. If not arrived by 9am I'd be praying for miracles from whatever gods were listening.

Regards
Ian

p.s. worth gauging the experiences of others, those queues seem very variable in duration.

Last edited:
Ian, thanks so much for this. I had gone through a similar calculation re. timing.

The last few times we've come through Heathrow into London, we flew from France in the evening... a few times we've had a driver meet us, though in September we took Heathrow Express into the city. I do remember that the last time the lines at passport control were long. I don't know if a morning arrival is any different.

That is a very good suggestion about making sure we have the landing card and fill it out before we get off the plane. We'll be near the front of the plane too, so that helps.

If anyone else has any experience with this, I would appreciate your thoughts!

Kathy

Hi Kathy - in 2016 I met Chris at Heathrow and we were to catch a 12:00 train at Paddington. I was already there, and Chris was coming in from the US. I think she was suppose to arrive around 8am but the flight was delayed, and then they lost her luggage. So by the time she got out of arrivals it was something like 11:00 and I was sweating. We had to buy, at the last minute, Heathrow Express tickets (I had thought we would have enough time to get Heathrow Connect.) We made it, but I am sure Chris will tell you how I made her run through Paddington to make it to the train. I'd go for the later train, maybe if you arrive early they will let you go on the earlier one?

Shannon makes a good point about whether your ticket allows you to travel by another train. The online booking system should offer the option of "other trains you can take with this ticket" (or some such wording): I'm reasonably certain that happens if you go through www.nationalrail.co.uk to the train company's own website. You could check it out on both train options. Of course, it may well be that the greater the concession on fares, the less flexibility it offers; maybe a promotional fare on First Class is only available on a specific train, but the Standard Class offers more flexibility. Play around with it a bit before committing.

Kathy -- Have you entered the UK at least 4 times in the last two years? (probably) If so, you may be able to apply for the UK's registered traveler and be fast tracked. Otherwise, it's for UK residents.

When flying business class on American, they always give me a free fast pass when I land at Heathrow. If you're flying business, ask your airline.

Also, when flying business (or if you're AAdvantage Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald member) on American and decide you want to take the later train, American has an "arrivals lounge" near baggage claim in Terminal 3. I landed at 7:30 am and was given a free pass, when I went last summer, well before my hotel room would be ready in London. I enjoyed a spectacular, modern shower room that was huge; a great breakfast, coffee and newspapers. So, I didn't have that overnight 'must shower' jet lag.

All this is good input. Cameron's post prompted us to go ahead and make a decision on this, and we decided to go ahead and book the later train. We decided we'd rather not begin our trip with a potentially-stressful connection since I think there's some risk there would be an issue and we might end up missing the train and having to buy new tickets at the last minute. We'll relax in the first class lounge at Paddington and enjoy the free drinks, snacks and WIFI.

I did look at the registered traveler program. It turned out that we had entered the UK four times in the last two years, but the program costs 70 GBP (each) for just one year, and I'm not sure we'll enter twice this year... possibly, but I'm not sure. And the first time after you've been approved, you still have to go through the "other passports" line and turn in a landing card. I think this would make more sense for someone making regular business trips to the UK, but it was a good idea to look into this. (And unfortunately we're not flying AA or business class either... that arrivals lounge sounds wonderful!)

Well, the best laid plans....

Our Delta flight from Atlanta to London had engine problems, and we turned around just 15 minutes after take-off and returned to Atlanta. There was actually a small fire in the engine (right outside my window), so we were met by fire trucks who sprayed lots of foam. I never saw any smoke or flames, and it wasn't a panic-situation in the plane. We're just grateful that the problem didn't develop while we were over the Atlantic.

Delta handled everything very well, but it was four hours before we were on our new plane to London. So we missed that train to Cornwall and had to buy new tickets on a 14:03 train.

This was a trip with three travel problems. First, the Atlanta-Heathrow flight... a biggie. Then when we went to board the Heathrow Express, I got on the train and the door shut right behind me (no notice!) with Charley still on the platform! So we traveled to Paddington Station separately. And then our train to Penzance got behind a train that had engine problems... and we were delayed a bit more than an hour getting to Penzance. So it was two very long travel days.

From when our plane landed at Heathrow... I arrived at Paddington station about 1 hour 15 minutes later. We made it through passport control quickly due to being Delta Comfort and near the front of our plane... and not many people in line when we arrived. But it could have been a much longer wait. If our flight had been on time, we could have made that 10:03 train.... but I still think I did the right thing by booking the 12:03.

We're able to apply for a refund of our second set of train tickets because we were delayed more than an hour. And I'm going to ask Delta if they will reimburse for the 1st class tickets I wasn't able to use because of our delay. (FYI Delta gave us each 10,000 FF miles.)

Definitely one of our most complicated journeys!

Kathy

Here’s hoping the rest of your trip goes smoothly! Sometimes the best trips start out with the most missteps.

Hi Kathy - in 2016 I met Chris at Heathrow and we were to catch a 12:00 train at Paddington. I was already there, and Chris was coming in from the US. I think she was suppose to arrive around 8am but the flight was delayed, and then they lost her luggage. So by the time she got out of arrivals it was something like 11:00 and I was sweating. We had to buy, at the last minute, Heathrow Express tickets (I had thought we would have enough time to get Heathrow Connect.) We made it, but I am sure Chris will tell you how I made her run through Paddington to make it to the train. I'd go for the later train, maybe if you arrive early they will let you go on the earlier one?
That was a crazy arrival! I don't even remember the part about running through Paddington... jetlag, I guess.

Ok, I am now convinced to buy my coach and train tickets after I arrive next week!. Hope the rest of your travels run smoothly.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina