• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Event - The Colourful World of Kaffe Fassett, Bath, March 22 - Nov 2 2014

Pauline

Forums Admin
The Colourful World of Kaffe Fassett at the American Museum in Bath (March 22 - November 2 2014) will celebrate Kaffe Fassett's 50 years working as an artist (knitwear and textile designer).

Fassett is an American from Big Sur, California, who moved to England in the 60s and then changed the worlds of knitting, needlepoint and quilting. He still lives and works in England. These days he is known for his textiles used by quilters. Join the Kaffe Fassett Collective on Facebook to get daily postings of quilts made with his fabrics.

As I will tell anyone who will listen, I met Kaffe Fassett about 25 years ago in Vancouver, Canada, when he was judging a design contest. He is lovely! Steve and I visited his family's restaurant in Big Sur - Nepenthe - where they had many of his works on display (a sofa completely done in needlepoint!).

From the show description: "Designed by celebrated theatrical designer Johan Engels, the exhibition promises to be as colourful as the dazzling pieces on display. Over one hundred sumptuous works of textile art – a kaleidoscope of knitwear, needlepoint, beading, and quilts – will be on display in the dramatic exhibition alongside vibrant mosaics and still life paintings by the Fassett."

I will be there for sure!

That sounds like it's going to be an amazing show! I have a couple of his books and have some of his fabrics stashed away for quilts.

When Lisa W and I went to Bath in 1991, we went to a quilt show! I don't remember much about the contemporary quilts, but I recall there was a quilt on display from the 1700's. You know textile arts don't usually last as long as others, especially quilts which were originally meant to be used for cover. Anyway, it was a simple design but still lovely.

I am in the middle of a quilting weekend retreat. I love the idea of quilting but I don't need another sitting activity (with all the time I spend at a computer). I have two quilting projects to do, and that may be enough sewing for me. Knitting is a whole other thing; I love knitting.

Oh no, as if there isn't enough to see and do on this trip. Now I'll have to find a list of local quilt shows and shops, of course!!! wherever we are.

Pauline, what are you working on? Do you have a favourite quilt shop in the Cotswolds?

I recently finished a knitted version of a log cabin quilt.

This weekend I have started a simple quilt of 5" squares using shirt fabric. A local woman made a deal with a shirt fabric factory in Gloucester, that provides fabric for the best English shirts, to take their offcuts that had been thrown away and sell them to quilters. I bought a bag of scraps for about £3 and a large piece to use as backing for £6, if I remember right. I will upload a photo I took of the fabric.

I spent a day this week cutting the fabric to 6" squares. Today I was practicing sewing the quilting stitches (nothing fancy) and tomorrow I start sewing. But I may make a bag first - 3 rows and 3 columns each for front and back - before attempting the larger project.

shirt-fabric-7514.jpg

I am not a quilter, but the women that I meet up with on Thursdays are fabulous quilters. There are a lot of quilting groups in this area.

Oakshott Fabrics is south of Cheltenham, but they are not much of a shop, more like a showroom (but I have bought things from them). Their business is online and mostly to the US!!

I will ask around for a quilting shop in the north Cotswolds and let you know.

Wow you got all that fabric for only 9 pounds. Fantastic!!!! Lucky you. I tend to quilt on my own. All the local guild members are soooooooo experienced -quilting seems to be the centre of their lives. The creations are well beyond my abilities at this point and in fact their work is so unique and beautiful, it becomes a bit intimidating at times. So I just putter and enjoy what I am able to make. I have a lot of UFO's! and probably too big a stash. But it's fun and very satisfying.

Love your knitted Log Cabin. Bet it's really warm on a cool winter's night. Gorgeous colours.

Very kind of you to ask about quilt stores.

I saw the exhibit a couple of weeks ago. It certainly is interesting. Though not my cup of tea, it does display his enormous talent. His colors simply explode. Some of his work is surprisingly subdued, but most of it shows his trade-mark bright, bold use of deep intense hues. A decided plus is the yarn-bombing going on outside on the trees!

Worth the trip, for sure.

We are planning to go next week. While I adore Kaffe Fassett and love reading his books, I have never knit one of his patterns. Too many colors! Too confusing! I did a few of his needlepoint kits, but was happier doing William Morris designs (more controlled and balanced). I have his latest quilting book, the one with solids and stripes - simpler designs - and may try one of them. But I agree, he has great talent and his work is very interesting.

A Kaffe Fassett needlepoint pillow that I did years ago:

kaffe-fassett.jpg

We went to the Kaffe Fassett show today! The American Museum is outside of Bath and we were able to drive right to it avoiding Bath. There was a funny private one lane toll bridge (70p each way) that we had to use to go over the River Avon, and then we were in Bathampton. We parked by the Kennett and Avon Canal and walked along the canal, to the outskirts of Bath. The sun was shining and it was warm out - a lovely autumn day.

Then we went to the American Museum which is in a beautiful manor house on a hill above the river. The Kaffe Fassett exhibit is the main one and there were lots of people there even though it has been running since March. As Steve pointed out, all women - only two other men besides him.

The exhibit was fantastic. It was in one big room and one smaller room. The room was painted to coordinate with the pieces - each area a different color - deep red, blue, yellow, green. Pieces were displayed by color instead of by type of craft of age. Knitting, needlepoint, painting, quilts. All Glorious!!

full

full

full

full

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina