• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Famine exhibition

Rome Addict

100+ Posts
Just saw the Famine exhibit in downtown Dublin. It's in a mall in the Center of town.
I am 99% Irish. I know my great x 4 grandparents emigrated in 1846 to Canada during the Famine. So maybe this affected me more than others.

I left crying and furious.

The facts alone are horrifying. 2 million dead or emigrated. 25% of the population. Think of your family or friends. Now pick 8. If you were Irish in 1848 one of these friends/family would have emigrated, the other would be dead of starvation or malnutrition associated disease. The human stories leave you shaken.

But the horrifying politics are what make you furious. Irish have started calling the famine a genocide. They are right. It wasn't benign neglect it was active deprivation of aid by the British government. Dickens in A Christmas Carol has Scrooge say " if they be poor let them die quickly and decrease the surplus population." Turns out he paraphrased Parnell the Secretary of the Treasury.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina