• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Favorite place on the Amalfi Coast? Mine is Ravello. What is yours and why?

Last May/June, I was fortunate to be able to travel with my son for a soccer tournament he played in Pescara, after which we travelled for a week, about half of that along the Amalfi Coast. It was our first time there, and we stayed two nights in Ravello and a night Praiano, making day trips to Amalfi and Positano. That's hardly enough time to develop any great understanding of the area, but here are my first impressions in order from least to most favorable:

(1) Positano: Even though it was not quite peak season, it was still mobbed, and that with its abundance of tourist-centric shops left me with the same sense I would get the few times in Venice I walked from Rialto to San Marcos along the main path. Higher up, the crowds thinned, and a sense of real neighbourhoods emerged, but escaping the crowds here is not like escaping them in Venice, where a quiet canal is never far away: Be prepared to do a lot of steps. Not a problem for my 15-year-son, who sprinted up them to peak around corners to give me a preview; but less easy for his old man and my bad Achilles tendon.

(2) Amalfi: While I walked up Positano, I hiked down to Amalfi from Ravello, a stunning walk with great views, and with gravity as my ally, I arrived invigorated rather than in pain. Our time here was limited but enjoyable, with the city easier to navigate, the crowds a bit more manageable, and with my love of the seas and the city's history as a sea power, it was a natural fit. Fresh sardines with lemons could brighten anyone's day.

(3) Ravello: It's position back from the coastal road and up a steep hill means that how ever many tourists visit during the day, when the sun descends, so too do many of the tourists, leaving behind a stunning setting with space to enjoy it and locals to learn from. This is a place to slow down and focus on what is special, and the next time we go, I hope to stay at least a full week.

I am a novice when it comes to the Amalfi Coast, so I would love if others would share their experiences and insights.

Ciao.

I too fell in love with Ravello. The views from Villa Cimbrone are well worth the climb. I chose Sorrento to rent a place due to its flatness (better for knee replacement walking) but we drove to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

Mine is Positano. Didn’t think it would be. Typically we prefer quieter towns, but there was just something so appealing about the place especially when the crowds dissipated in the evening. We loved the small apartment we rented with garden and vegetables we picked for a salad every night and would go back in a heartbeat. We took the ferry to most of the other small towns and enjoyed traveling the waterways to do our sightseeing. But we always enjoyed coming back to Positano. I think Amalfi was our second favourite place but if we were spending the money to return as I said before, I think we would again choose Positano.

Ravello was the first place I stayed in Italy, back in 1990. We've returned a couple of times since and it remains veyr special indeed, especially for people with a 'slower travel' mindset - Amalfi or Sorrento are better options for those intent on seeing as many different places as they can, whereas Ravello is logistically more effort, but with much more peace / tranquillity. The times change though, and seeing some of the recent tourist focused shops (e.g. Murano glass shop, something utterly unrelated to the region), makes me concerned that there is an inevitable rumble towards the theme park feel of mass tourist locations. Still plenty of time to enjoy its charms yet though, and an evening sat out in the square remains a very happy place. Yes I'd agree a favourite for me.

Atrani is not somewhere I plan to stay, but I love walking there, either from up high, or the short but energetic walk from Amalfi. There are few better places to be on a stinking hot day.

Pogerola was good to stay in. It's almost as high up as Ravello, but the views aren't quite as stunning. The end result is you find yourself more in amongst locals (plus a few intrepid guests from the hotel down the road). The restaurants are functional, not memorable but good home cooking style. The small supermarket is ok as often in Italy, but I was overjoyed to find (soft) smoked mozzarella. Overall this is a great option if you feel that there is a little too much tourism / places losing their sense of place.

Amalfi is a good hub, with some good functional shops,with good interest there as well. Can be a little bit touristy but I prefer it to Positano. Andrea Pansa pasticceria is a huge plus point.

Minori I'd mistakenly lumped in with Maiori. It's rather nice, though I'm not sure how many places there are to stay inland to take advantage of the views.

Ditto Ravello. We stayed in Positano, but Ravello was our favorite. Spent a few nights on Capri which was pretty nice, too. Here is my favorite Ravello picture:
Ravello.jpg

Ours was Positano. The view from the balcony of our rental was magical. We could stroll the streets and pathways forever. Hope we can go back someday.

I hope someone can explain how to post a photo. I have some lovely Amalfi coast pics.

I hope someone can explain how to post a photo. I have some lovely Amalfi coast pics.

1. Click the "Insert image" icon (between the chain link and smiley)
2. Click inside the open box. This open a list of files that have been saved on your computer.
3. Select the photo, then click open and this should post the picture to your response.

Easy as that. There may be other ways.

The steep climb to the Villa Cimbrone was worth every bit of effort. The views were spectacular. Thank you CaWino for walking me through it.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina