• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

First trip Italy- looking for two bases for two weeks

colette123

10+ Posts
We are a couple in the sixties, and are thinking of doing a first trip to Italy for two weeks next year. I do have a Rick Steves guide book. I think for our first trip I would like to keep it to one week in Rome ( and do day trips from there) and one other place as a base for the second week . will be renting an apartment or room in a b & b at both places . just starting to do some rough planning. would love any suggestions on what would be a second good base where we can stay for a week, but also do a few day trips from. one of the hill towns?

Hi Colette, that sounds like a good plan - one week in Rome, one week somewhere else. There is a lot to see and do in Rome. For day trips you could visit Orvieto, a beautiful hill town on the train line going north from Rome, and Ostia Antica, remains of a Roman City west of Rome. Lots of other possibilities if those don’t appeal.

For your second base, tell us more as Giulia suggests.

Have a look in our Italy Trip Reports forum where we collect notes from trips. You might find some inspiration there.

Some things to think about, in addition to the time of year, are would you like a second city stay after Rome, or a country location? Are you interested in being near the sea, or would you like mountains? Is hiking a priority? Shopping? Kayaking? Any hints regarding your interests would help us to help you.

I think after the city, my preference would be a smaller countryside like place where we can meet local people,walk around, sit at cafes, explore a bit, eat local cuisine at small family restaurants, get a feel of the area. of course we like wine!We like cities but mostly love smaller places .I'd love to go to the Tuscany area, or Umbria or the hill towns, I'm trying to keep this first trip simple, so I really just want two bases so as not to move around too much.We usually do a mix of visiting sights, then a day of relaxation. We will not have a car in Rome, but we can rent one afterwards to reach a second destination,but we don't mind travelling by bus or train. Don't necessarily feel the need to do some shopping. I am thinking of early May for this trip. I think we could sum it up by saying we would like a bit of a mix of everything. hope this helps just a bit. we are a fit couple, hubby cycles regularly and I do yoga and walk every day for an hour.

Hi Colette
I like the sensible slow pace of 2 weeks and 2 bases.

Others can comment on Rome, but it makes sense and does not require Italian language skills.

Some thoughts for the other week:
- Amalfi Coast (specifically Ravello, but there are other places of charm). The whole coast is interesting, with stunning views, great food, famous historical sites. If wanting to explore them all, then Ravello isn't the best choice, as it is more isolated. However it's that relative isolation that I'm pitching as the appeal. There are formal & informal villa gardens to explore, a charming pedestrianised square in its element of a warm evening, views that are exceptional, walks varying from easy to strenuous (the tippett guide in the sunflower series is invaluable). Plus if you time it, a series of classical concerts. Overall though, it is the amazing sense of peace looking out over the seascape that can create a pure silence. Language again not a problem here

- Tuscan/Umbrian countryside - you've mentioned it, and like the Amalfi coast, it offers a lovely counterpoint to the hustle and bustle of Rome. Driving is definitely an option, but holidays can be planned around trains and buses (the inter-town ones being referred to as pullmans by the locals). Mostly the driving is easy, but going into/through towns can be a little stressful (good planning helps). Best to train from Rome to a suitable place to pick up a car & ideally arrange to drop the car off at your departure airport

Regards
Ian

Hi Colette
I like the sensible slow pace of 2 weeks and 2 bases.

Others can comment on Rome, but it makes sense and does not require Italian language skills.

Some thoughts for the other week:
- Amalfi Coast (specifically Ravello, but there are other places of charm). The whole coast is interesting, with stunning views, great food, famous historical sites. If wanting to explore them all, then Ravello isn't the best choice, as it is more isolated. However it's that relative isolation that I'm pitching as the appeal. There are formal & informal villa gardens to explore, a charming pedestrianised square in its element of a warm evening, views that are exceptional, walks varying from easy to strenuous (the tippett guide in the sunflower series is invaluable). Plus if you time it, a series of classical concerts. Overall though, it is the amazing sense of peace looking out over the seascape that can create a pure silence. Language again not a problem here

- Tuscan/Umbrian countryside - you've mentioned it, and like the Amalfi coast, it offers a lovely counterpoint to the hustle and bustle of Rome. Driving is definitely an option, but holidays can be planned around trains and buses (the inter-town ones being referred to as pullmans by the locals). Mostly the driving is easy, but going into/through towns can be a little stressful (good planning helps). Best to train from Rome to a suitable place to pick up a car & ideally arrange to drop the car off at your departure airport

Regards
Ian
thank you Ian! will look into the Amalfi coast, had not considered that.

"I think after the city, my preference would be a smaller countryside like place where we can meet local people,walk around, sit at cafes, explore a bit, eat local cuisine at small family restaurants, get a feel of the area."

Lucca!

"I think after the city, my preference would be a smaller countryside like place where we can meet local people,walk around, sit at cafes, explore a bit, eat local cuisine at small family restaurants, get a feel of the area."

Lucca!
thank you Paul. I had read up a bit on Lucca & will check that out!

Lucca would be nice (day trip to Florence by train), but also consider Siena ( day trip to Florence by bus). A car is nice for exploring the smaller towns in Tuscany. However, you could do it without a car with careful planning. Other options (closer to Rome) with car would be Orvieto or Montepulciano. If you're planning on having a car, make sure that you will be able to park near your rental place. If not, make sure that your rental place has options for dinner close by.

Lucca would be nice (day trip to Florence by train), but also consider Siena ( day trip to Florence by bus). A car is nice for exploring the smaller towns in Tuscany. However, you could do it without a car with careful planning. Other options (closer to Rome) with car would be Orvieto or Montepulciano. If you're planning on having a car, make sure that you will be able to park near your rental place. If not, make sure that your rental place has options for dinner close by.
thank you Marlene. I am definitely considering Lucca. and now maybe Siena. they both sound like lovely places and after being in a city, I would prefer that to actually staying in Florence

Lucca and Siena are great suggestions. Also consider Montalcino since you mentioned you like wine. Small town feel with quite a few good restaurants. It's also a good base to see Siena, Pienza, and Montepulciano.

Of the two: Lucca is more laid back with easy (flat) very pleasant walking on the 3-mile or so wall that surrounds the city area. There are usually options for concerts with a great low-key Classical music festival in May https://www.luccaclassica.it/en/project/ - much of it free - heavily attended by locals. Lucia is smaller than Siena, and the primary "sites" in town are (many!) medieval churches. Siena has more "must see" art and a wonderful medieval vibe with narrow twisty streets. It's seriously hilly so you need good knees. Both towns get a good amount of day tourists; but Siena's main tourist attractions can draw serious crowds. Both towns limit traffic in their central area (need a permit to enter). Both towns have wonderful surrounding countryside to explore, and a car would be best for that.

I’ve stayed in Montepulciano for a week and found it delightful. It has everything, a small Tuscan town feel, beautiful vistas and access by car to so many other places mentioned above..Montalcino, (the wine!), Pienza, (the pecorino!)I Siena and San Gimignano. I prefer smaller roads, and the driving is not anxiety filled. Also stayed a week in Sorrento, not directly on the Amalfi coast, but from there, it can be accessed by boat. I would not recommend driving in this area unless you have nerves of steel. My sister did it and I will be forever grateful to her for the views I was able to capture, but trust me, take a bus or a boat. I loved Ravello also, but for someone with knee replacements, it is not the best base, but I braved the steps to see the stunning Villa Cimbrone. Anywhere you decide to stay in Italy will be filled with beauty and kind people and good food. After your trip, you’ll be hooked like me and go back many times.

As stunningly beautiful as the Amalfi Coast is, it is also a major tourist destination and it's impossibly crowded. The last few times I've been there I thought it was starting to get that "Disney" feeling that Venice has, with hoards of day trippers and few actual residents anymore.

In that area, for quiet and a still thriving local community I would recommend the islands of Procida or Ischia, off the coast of Naples. They are easy to reach via train and ferry from Naples, while on each island local public transportation is pretty good to get you around. The money you'd save on car rental could go toward an occasional taxi ride, to fill in any gaps. If you've seen the wonderful movie "Il Postino", much of it was filmed on Procida in the town of Marina di Corricella.

For something completely different, up in the mountains of the Cilento area, you might read this trip report from the Slowtravel site, republished here: https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...-lost-in-the-hills-and-valleys-of-italy.4296/

Perdifumo was a lovely place to stay but absolutely requires a car.

If you decide to head south of Rome I'd encourage you to check out the rental offerings on the Summer in Italy site. They have wonderful properties and professional management, a nice point of difference vs. some of the amateur "landlords" on Air B&B, VRBO and the like.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina