• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

First trip to Europe/Mother-Daughter trip

Rinahen

Hi everyone! I am trying to plan a 10-14 day trip to Europe with my daughter for her college graduation in May/June of this year..... would I be crazy to think I could pull this off at this late date? I am the worst planner .... I have never been to Europe, but my daughter has ... she traveled to Barcelona, French Riviera, Nice, Southern Italy and Greece her senior year of high school. Could anyone suggest fun destinations for a mother daughter trip? And any suggestions on how to plan such a last minute trip? I am having analysis paralysis on where to go.... thinking either a Paris/London/Amsterdam trip or Italy or Greece....thinking maybe a cruise might be my best option as far as availability at this late date .... but would prefer a land trip (I think?) ... anyways I would appreciate anyone's insight/resources on booking this trip/itineraries/etc.... Thank you so much! I sooooo want to be able to do this with my daughter before she heads off to PA School in the fall!

Rina

I think a week each in 2 different locations would be wonderful...no more than 2 locations with only 10-14 days would be my preference. Paris, London, Rome…all would be so much fun to explore together.
Did you ask your daughter? Where did she enjoy visiting during her earlier trip and where would she like to visit now?

Hi Rina and welcome here!
I'm sure the forum will chip in with great advice, but you're going to have to supply more details about what your preferences are (as Mom83 suggested).

Your decision process might look something like the following, and advice will be given accordingly :
1) both of you agreeing on destinations (or letting one of you decide)
2) detailed preferences for said destinations : museums? scenic sights? food and markets? shopping? cultural events? etc.
2) deciding on a budget
3) deciding on "whirlwind" or "slow" pace of travel - meaning do you want to see as much as possible, or concentrate on experiencing one country or even one region
4) transportation - car or public?
5) planning and booking independently by yourselves, or using an agent or web service. Using local guides, or not, once you have itineraries.

Most people here will advise you to take it easy and to experience the "less is more" concept of slow travel, but you will get advice in any case. Good luck with your adventure!

Last edited:
He
Hi everyone! I am trying to plan a 10-14 day trip to Europe with my daughter for her college graduation in May/June of this year..... would I be crazy to think I could pull this off at this late date? I am the worst planner .... I have never been to Europe, but my daughter has ... she traveled to Barcelona, French Riviera, Nice, Southern Italy and Greece her senior year of high school. Could anyone suggest fun destinations for a mother daughter trip? And any suggestions on how to plan such a last minute trip? I am having analysis paralysis on where to go.... thinking either a Paris/London/Amsterdam trip or Italy or Greece....thinking maybe a cruise might be my best option as far as availability at this late date .... but would prefer a land trip (I think?) ... anyways I would appreciate anyone's insight/resources on booking this trip/itineraries/etc.... Thank you so much! I sooooo want to be able to do this with my daughter before she heads off to PA School in the fall!

Rina

Rina
“Late date” ha we are still trying to complete our itinerary for April. I would think lodging is starting to fill up for June, but last minute planning has always worked out for us!

Are you interested in hotels or airbnbs etc? Rent a car or train travel? Interests? Beach, mountains, cities, small towns…..Off the top of my head itinerary fly into Paris stay 3 days, fly to Nice 4 days day tripping the riviera to Eze, Monaco. Train into northern Italy for next two 3 night stays….book return flight home from that area? It will be a perfect trip no matter what you guys decide on!

Get your daughter's input. I was shocked when my kids who, when growing up had been in need of intervention by childhood protective services to keep us from dragging them into another museum, set up itineraries as adults that included the very things they used to complain about. There are so many choices between architectural, historical, cultural, and culinary destinations and so many ways to combine them.

I would strongly suggest NO CRUISES -- the food is overwhelming (not good, just a lot of it). You don't get to experience the stops along the way. You see your cruise mates, a driver, a tour guide, and shop keepers that give kickbacks to the tour guides for routing you there.

Find two places to use as a base for a week each and do some excursions from those places. If you are uncomfortable being out on your own, we've had good success with Viator many times for setting up day trips.

Look around for places to expand the list -- Croatia is beautiful and an easy jaunt from Italy, for instance.

If you base in a city, no need for a car. If you base one of your weeks in a smaller spot, then don't be afraid to include a car rental. You can really open up your opportunities and GPS's are magic things.

Look beyond the normal "Top 10 things to see" lists and look for festivals and seasonal events. The good news is that there are no bad choices when selecting European travel. Rather than obsessing over what you can get done in this graduation celebration, think of it as a "first trip" together and start thinking about the places you want to go on trips yet to come.

Never too late to plan/book, though some of us love the research so much that we'd always want longer so we can dig into what's there for us to enjoy on arrival.

Perhaps the easiest way to start, is to look at direct flights that have reasonable timings, and narrow them down to 3-4 that might have some appeal. Nice also to have a city vs. countryside/coast/mountains comparison between 2 destinations, so the 2nd leg feels a very different experience.

I like Amsterdam as a city, but less so the centre, which struggles a little with tourism and the 'type' of tourism. They're working on addressing this, but my tip would be to stay outside the centre (we like the area beyond the museum quarter, which is relatively 'leafy' for Amsterdam, and very much a place for Amsterdammers more than tourists). The centre is vibrant though, if that's an appeal, and of course even if staying outside, you'll want a few trips into the centre / other suburbs.

Another very useful side to Amsterdam as an airport, is the massive range of destinations it connects to. Thus it makes it a useful option for a 'triangle' so you fly into Amsterdam, but out of (say) Pisa. Now normally I prefer to avoid flying in the middle of the holiday, but it may work brilliantly for you.

Having been to the south of Italy, perhaps the North might appeal? If you like food, Bologna is pretty special, though not overly scenic around it. Tuscany/Toscana can be very scenic indeed and with lots of options from the obvious like Florence/Firenze and Pisa, through to some relatively under the radar places like Colle val d'Elsa or Lucca. Milano remains a fashion/style hotspot, though the city didn't gel with me. Torino is a favourite, albeit in comparison to Milano might feel more mundane, but the food is great and navigation easy. The lakes (Maggiore, Orta, Garda) should be very nice at that time of year. Then again, if wanting peaceful and beautiful scenery, with some wonderful walking, you might say "sorry North, the Amalfi coast is calling"

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina