• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

flights from continental US to Pisa

ncp

10+ Posts
A question for you airline experts out there: I remember reading several years ago that Delta and maybe another airline was flying direct to Pisa from the continental U.S., I think from JFK and maybe one other city. I now can find no direct flights on any airline, no way, no how. Did those direct flights go away? I'm trying to set up a trip for friends in September and want a few stops as possible. Thanks!

Maybe worth searching for July, in case they aren't published far in advance.

I have flown into Pisa and it is a great option. There were no direct flights when I booked, so it was IAD (Dulles) to Paris and then Paris to Pisa on Air France. It was a very nice trip and the layover was not bad.

Try Florence. The airport sucks but they are now taking bigger jets on the runway. Not sure if they have direct flights but with 80,000 American students and their families visiting I would check it out.

And depending on the times you are traveling you can grab a repositioning cruise back for dirt cheap. I have seen them for less than $300.

A really cheap option would be Norwegian air has flights in the $150 range from NYC.

Thanks Rome Addict, looks like no direct flights from there either, but some better scheduling though. I'm glad you brought up the cruise option. This time my husband and I are flying on points but in the future that could be great. Is there a website you use or how do you search those things?

You are a 1 hour 6 euro train ride from Pisa if that was your final destination. Most cruises reposition in May to Europe and back to US in October. Predominantly Caribbean cruises avoiding hurricane season. And cold winter weather in Europe.

I just check the various Cruise lines. They are heavily consolidated so Norwegian, celebrity etc are owned by the same company. And you can bid on cruises on Priceline now! Who knew?

We are flying into Pisa in 3 weeks (we leave LAX 3 weeks from today!). But, we're flying on AA / BA: LAX to DFW, then DFW to LHR, both on AA, then LHR to Pisa on BA. We are returning home from Rome FCO - DFW - LAX on AA.

I bought the tickets last December for a really good price on Fareboom ($715 each, RT!), but that's because we have only 1.5 hours to connect from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 at Heathrow to catch the Pisa flight, which is Heathrow's minimum stated connection time between those terminals.

If we don't make the BA flight to Pisa on 5/18, not sure what will happen because BA only has that one flight a day from LHR to PSA. We may either have to stay overnight somewhere near LHR or perhaps they will book us on another flight to Pisa? It may be an adventure!

You are a 1 hour 6 euro train ride from Pisa if that was your final destination. Most cruises reposition in May to Europe and back to US in October. Predominantly Caribbean cruises avoiding hurricane season. And cold winter weather in Europe.

I just check the various Cruise lines. They are heavily consolidated so Norwegian, celebrity etc are owned by the same company. And you can bid on cruises on Priceline now! Who knew?

A better option? Pack a couple days clothes in carry-on and don't worry about the luggage. Just get your bodies between planes. Then make sure the tag and inside the suitcase have your travel destination. They will get it to you eventually just make sure you have travel insurance just in case.

BA is pretty notorious for losing luggage. They lost my mobility scooter on a London to Phoenix direct flight. I still can't figure out how that happened other than the fact that they made me switch to a wheelchair at the check-in counter. So it is either now in some luggage handlers possession, sold at auction or sitting somewhere like Mumbai.

I did get a new scooter out of it.

Teri, we've flown that route a number of times. The return never works out as planned, but an overnight in London isn't the end of the world. We've been flying business using points so when they connection is missed they put us up on a hotel. I think if you're flying economy they may give you a discount of some kind. That airfare is amazing - worth the risk of things getting confused. Clothes in the carry-on is a great idea, and meds too. When your luggage is separated from you and you're stuck overnight they give you a plastic bag with a toothbrush and a t-shirt and that's about it. Good to be prepared!

Fortunately, my husband and I always each bring a carry-on bag with at least 3-4 days worth of clothes, meds, necessities and our electronics (in the carry-on bag and/or personal item). We also each check a bag (so we can bring back wine and olive oil), and I pack some of my husband's and my clothes, etc. in each bag, so in case one goes missing we will each still have some clothes in the other bag that makes it.

We had a fairly tight connection from AA to BA in LHR 4 years ago: basically the same AA flight from DFW to LHR, then connecting to T5 for a BA flight to Milan. Our checked bags all made the transfer that time, so I'm hopeful they will this time as well. If not, we'll hope they catch up with us in Pisa or further south eventually. I also have travel insurance in place in case they permanently lose both our checked bags ;).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina