• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

From Vieste to Ricadi in 3 days ...

LBLUE

Hello. I am new to the forum but it looks interesting. My daughter (5) and I - yes, just the two of us, always do a summer trip - 3 or 4 weeks in a single country. Not too much travel but like to really see a spot. This year will we do June in Italy, 2 weeks in Vieste and 10 days in Ricadi, flying in and out of Rome. Are there any suggestions of must stops between the two places as we will have 2 nights to stay in other towns as we make our way to Ricadi. We will want to stay somewhere nice (but still under $300) as we stay in Airbnb for most a nice hotel is always appreciated. thanks for your help.

Is it your plan to drive from Rome to Vieste, then to Ricadi, and finally back to Rome? That's some pretty serious driving time. If that is the case, then Matera would be a lovely place to visit between Vieste and Ricadi. We stayed in a lovely Airbnb rental in the sassi in Matera, but it was only a one-bedroom and might not work for you and your daughter if you want separate rooms.

What you might want to consider is flying from Rome to Bari, renting a car there for the first part of your journey, then flying from Bari to either Reggio Calabria or Lamezia Terme and renting a car for the second half of the trip, and finally flying back to Rome. We spent two weeks in Calabria in late September/early October 2019, and the driving times in Calabria can be deceptive and much longer than you would think. We flew from Rome into Reggio and rented a car from there, and the drive up the coast is lovely. Reggio is also a great city to explore for a few days.

@lisaonthecape - thanks so much. It is a lot of travel but getting to the airport, bags + stroller + car seat + getting kid in and out and on a plane, off a plane and doing it again is a bit too much but I live in LA so I drive 3 hours home from work on a bad day. We have nearly 4 weeks and with that only 2 locations Vieste and Ricadi so we have some days in between to get to each spot and then back to Rome. I appreciate the suggestions and will look into both Matera and Reggio. Any must do near Vieste?

If you're comfortable with the driving, go for it. Our youngest just graduated from college, so we're past the years of carseats, etc.

I've never been to Vieste, so I don't have any personal recommendations for the area, although it looks beautiful. And if you're driving, then I would definitely think about a couple of nights in Matera. It's not the most direct route heading to Ricadi but is a very special place. If a one-bedroom works for you and your daughter, here is the place where we stayed in Matera: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4821696?source_impression_id=p3_1579979544_WDUuifJ/I6aeT/fA. It's a great location, right in the Sassi. Most of the interesting sites are within walking distance. When our kids were young, we loved having a full kitchen, so we didn't have to commit to eating out at every meal. Our typical pattern was always breakfast at home, main meal at lunchtime, then dinner back at home. That was a good balance for us, but of course every child is different, and you know best what works for your daughter.

Nor have I been to Ricadi (we stayed in Zambrone, halfway between Tropea and Pizzo), but the entire coast is lovely. Vibo Valentia has a good archeological museum. Like most in Calabria, it is small in scale and wouldn't be too much for a 5-year-old. Tropea is stunningly beautiful, although we were there in late September, so not as crowded as it would be in high season.

Wow, Vieste to Ricardi is a serious drive. A short trip from Vieste is Monte Sant'Angelo, which is cool. And depending on your route there's lots of interesting stuff in the middle (including Matera, if you choose to go that way). Seems a bit ambitious but if you are into the drive, you will undoubtedly see lots of really interesting countryside. Enjoy.

If you're comfortable with the driving, go for it. Our youngest just graduated from college, so we're past the years of carseats, etc.

I've never been to Vieste, so I don't have any personal recommendations for the area, although it looks beautiful. And if you're driving, then I would definitely think about a couple of nights in Matera. It's not the most direct route heading to Ricadi but is a very special place. If a one-bedroom works for you and your daughter, here is the place where we stayed in Matera: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4821696?source_impression_id=p3_1579979544_WDUuifJ/I6aeT/fA. It's a great location, right in the Sassi. Most of the interesting sites are within walking distance. When our kids were young, we loved having a full kitchen, so we didn't have to commit to eating out at every meal. Our typical pattern was always breakfast at home, main meal at lunchtime, then dinner back at home. That was a good balance for us, but of course every child is different, and you know best what works for your daughter.

Nor have I been to Ricadi (we stayed in Zambrone, halfway between Tropea and Pizzo), but the entire coast is lovely. Vibo Valentia has a good archeological museum. Like most in Calabria, it is small in scale and wouldn't be too much for a 5-year-old. Tropea is stunningly beautiful, although we were there in late September, so not as crowded as it would be in high season.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina