• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Genoa (maybe Pisa?)this October with kids

DaddyDan

10+ Posts
I am heading to Genoa this October with my kids to see the aquarium. I am also considering a day trip down to Pisa to show them the tower.

Any advice on things to see, do, or eat will be appreciated. I am leaning towards the quick and simple dining choices as my youngest will be almost 2 and is incapable of sitting still.

Thanks!

Dan

Hello Dan - we've been twice to Genoa and enjoyed it very much (although haven't been with children).
I think that in order to get proper advice you'd have to add a bit more info, such as how long your stay is, how many kids and the ages, what kind of things do you like? Are short hikes, for example, an option?
Also, you might consider accommodations at an agriturismo, if you will be staying outside of cities.

Hello Joe.

Thanks for responding. I have three kids ages almost 2, 7 , and 9 years old. We will have 3.5 days on the ground. I am travelling alone on this trip as my wife cannot get the time off. Preferences are geared to cultural experiences, local food, and world class sites. I already have an apartment arranged in Genoa.

This is my schedule so far...
Arrive Wednesday afternoon. Check in and then go on a treasure hunt offered by the tourism office. Do a little grocery shopping and call it a day.
Thursday. Go to the old port and visit the aquarium and maritime museum.
Friday. Take the train to Pisa to see the leaning tower.
Saturday. Walk around town, find a playground, be lazy.
Sunday. take the train home.

All of this is subject to change in case I find something better to do. ;)

All in all looks good, I can see the appeal of the aquarium and the Tower in Pisa, for the kids.

You might want to add the Spianata Castelletto to your list in Genoa - this is a beautiful observation point on the city, accessed either by foot (maybe not so suitable with young kids) or by funicular. It's a bit tricky to find the station at the lower end, but the view is worth it, especially if you have a clear day. There's a gelateria at the top, and I believe that there are evenings when pizza ovens are put out on the large balcony, you might be able to check with the locals.

Speaking of gelateria, no lack of them in the city, we really enjoyed Viganotti (https://www.romeoviganotti.com/gelateria-artigianale-genova/), but you could eat at a different gelateria twice a day and still not cover them all...

I suppose that you've taken into account that the round-trip to the Tower (if you're going by bus or train), is something like six hours, and that it might be a good idea to reserve a time-slot ticket in advance, if you plan on going up the tower. Maybe this isn't relevant, but you might want to consider saving the Tower for another time (in order to spare being on the road for six hours of the day), and perhaps go for a shorter trip to one of the towns along the coast, or perhaps the Cinque Terre. These could also be accessed by the sea, which the kids might like.
Have a great visit there.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into Spianata Castelleto and contact them and the tourist office about pizzas. My kids have a fascination with funiculars. It is a part of living in Switzerland.

I will also add Viganotti to my list of places to go. For general reference, if anyone is interested, this is a great article on how to find good gelato in Italy.

I have looked into the train times for Pisa. There is an 8:50am train and a return train at 2:58 that take 2 hours, 10 minutes with no changes. Those are my best bets for the day. Again, living in Switzerland has given us an appreciation and experience with train trips that are 2+ hours long. That gives me 4 hours on the ground, which should be enough for the city. As much as I would love to climb the tower, the minimum age is 8, so I am 1 for 3 in that regard.

Thanks!

Dan

It might be fun to take a stroll through the Mercato Orientale. Kids and adults alike generally enjoy gawking at the displays of the freshest fruits, vegetables, meat and seafood in Genoa.

I also second the suggestion for the Spianata Castelletto. The funicular will be fun for the kids and the views are spectacular. Perhaps get some things at the Mercato Orientale for a picnic lunch on a bench up there.

Is there a funicular? My initial look into this shows an elevator for the site.

I might have been wrong about the funicular, this was nine years ago and I'm not sure I recall how we got up there. If I remember correctly, the place to get the elevator to the Castelletto is the following :

I remember having difficulties finding it, for some reason there are no clear signs or directions (that are suitable for tourists at least). Maybe today it's easier, or I was just confused. If you decide to go there, ask before to make sure exactly how to access the place.

Last edited:
Another correction : I just rechecked and the other name of this observation point is Belvedere Castelletto. At least that is how it appears on Google Maps. I suppose it is known by different names.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina