• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Getting anxious to go

Just had a very nice dinner with the folks we are traveling with on the Canal du Midi. It appears that, aside from the visit to Carcassonne, the other 10 days of our trip are listed as "visits to quaint French towns we discover along the way -- with market places and other attractions". I am not sure there is enough anti-anxiety medicine allowed for foreign transport for me to accept this level of vagueness. I considered sitting at my computer typing the phrase, "A little serendipity is not a bad thing" over and over again, but feared that Jack Nicholson in The Shining might overtake me. My wife reassures me I can continue to plan the other two months of our trip to an excruciating level of detail -- for the first time in our 34 years together, I have a feeling of distrust. Thank you for the on-line therapy session.
Why not just plan anyway but don't share it until things go south.

Well here's the thing. They may be chilled about it and that's fine for them. However that doesn't stop you prep'ing a broad route (getting their buy in to either the circle or there & back path). Then plan options for stops along the way (don't bother sharing this latter bit upfront, it may not hold their interest!).

Then over each evening meal on the holiday, you can say "ABC is an option tomorrow or we could cruise a little further and go to XYZ - what takes your fancy?". Effectively you have a Plan A and a Plan B, the group discusses it, potentially even in some cases splitting up to follow different interests (and also get a *sanity break). It's not completely unknown/unplanned because you've narrowed down the options to just A or B.

You could also put a little rigidity in, by for instance saying you'd love to hit this lovely market in 'XYZ' on the Wednesday. It's the only day it runs, so you'd like to be moored up in walking distance of there the night before. If you do a good sell on it, they'll agree and you've got a specific target to ensure it's not too meandering & can also use that to ensure the previous night is close enough to make that practical. Ask them if anything is a 'must see' for them, and if it is, then that can be planned in with a target day depending on how far you need to travel each day.

As long as key milestones are agreed, how are they to know you have a cunning plan to link it all, and you appear chilled by being relaxed about 2 options you are confident in. If they ask about somewhere else signposted, a little white lie "it didn't sound that nice when I read up on it" can keep things on the straight and narrow.

On the flip side, the thought of a fully scheduled whistlestop tour horrifies me - I could never do one of those 'see Italy in a week' coach tours. I like to stop and appreciate what is around me. The boat to a degree will force this, as the pace is leisurely, and barring getting up earlier, there's not much you can do to change that pace. It's one of the great positives about a boat, as it forces more relaxation time.

At least you'll have a spacious cruiser. The English canal system narrowboats are much more enclosed and can easily lead to massive *friction. I recall once getting off and walking along the bank picking blackberries. Now back then I didn't like blackberries, but they seemed more appealing than staying on the boat to indulge the tension!

* Whilst cruisers will be better, I really would recommend trying to get an hour or more in each day where the couples go off separately to do something, or at least get a 'morning rota', where one couple has a lie in whilst the other couple get the boat underway. It gives some breathing space. One of my most enjoyable moments was starting the boat off on my own, on a grey day with persistent heavy drizzle, and for about an hour, just the company of a heron who would fly ahead when the boat approached. The calm was just what I needed. Not having to talk to the other 3 people helped as well!

regards
Ian

Hey Alpinista. I have been e-mailing FrancesAnn from Slow travelers because we will overlap in Lucca for a few days and might meet there. She said you were also going to be in Lucca, and I seem to recall a conversation on Slowtrav. I'm leaving for Lucca tomorrow and will be there until 23 May. Will you be there then?

Hey Alpinista. I have been e-mailing FrancesAnn from Slow travelers because we will overlap in Lucca for a few days and might meet there. She said you were also going to be in Lucca, and I seem to recall a conversation on Slowtrav. I'm leaving for Lucca tomorrow and will be there until 23 May. Will you be there then?

My wife and I will be in Lucca beginning May 20. I just sent FrancesAnn an email confirming our hopes that we can meet up. I provided her my cell phone number (best way to reach me is by text). If you want to set up a day/time/place to meet on the 21st or 22nd, we could go ahead and do that here??

Well here's the thing. They may be chilled about it and that's fine for them. However that doesn't stop you prep'ing a broad route (getting their buy in to either the circle or there & back path). Then plan options for stops along the way (don't bother sharing this latter bit upfront, it may not hold their interest!).

Ian, some great ideas/suggestions in your post. The good news (from my standpoint) is that we had dinner with them again last night and they gave us a copy of a canal guidebook that they had also purchased -- contains a very detailed list of time/distance to towns along the way with planning to get through the locks and to enjoy the highlights along the way. The serendipity part seems to have greatly receded now that they have some concrete information to work from. My wife reminded me that we did our Mediterranean cruise with them we were almost never on the same optional excursions, so I think the ability to split up and go our own way will not be an issue. For the week that they will be in Lucca with us, we've already planned "together" days, days where we will take them someplace to get them pointed to their first stop (Florence, for instance) but leave them on their own, and days where we'll be doing exciting things like the laundromat while they are off on their own.

Alpinist said "If you want to set up a day/time/place to meet on the 21st or 22nd, we could go ahead and do that here??" I should be pretty free on those days, although the 22nd will involve packing so the 21st might be best. I can also be reached once you arrive in Lucca at the Ilaria Hotel,Phone 0583 47615. Last name Williamson. I won't have a phone (ok, so next time I go I will get a phone as I'm clearly missing something). p.s. couldn't figure out how to reply with a quote

p.s. couldn't figure out how to reply with a quote
Just click on 'reply' on the bottom right hand side of the message you want to quote. You can trim it back to the key element you want to quote (as I did for this one, but just make sure you don't remove the *SBQuoteSB and SB/QuoteSB from start and finish

*SB = [ and ]

It can get a bit more complex (and less intuitive) when trying to quote a post that itself contains a quote, because the software only includes the most recent of the messages. That's where the '+quote' button comes in, allowing you to quote multiple posts - you click on each in turn, then click on the newly appeared 'insert quotes' to get them all quoted in a single post.

.I won't have a phone (ok, so next time I go I will get a phone as I'm clearly missing something). p.s. couldn't figure out how to reply with a quote

Will do our best to contact the hotel and track you down.

BTW, looks like you are about a 5 minute walk from one of our favorite places to eat -- Trattoria Gigi. Usually need reservations for dinner, but try it out if you get a chance. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

We are spending our first two nights in Italy - May 18th/19th - in a friend's apartment in Benabbio, on the mountain above Bagni di Lucca. We plan on spending our one full day in the area visiting Lucca. We may have to check out Trattoria Gigi for dinner!

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, I think most of us who are here are planners. We booked our trip for next winter in Barcelona in February of this year. I always start my google map for the trip as soon as I have set the plan in motion. Usually, I book our apartment(s) first and then airfare, but not always. Then I start searching for great food and other experiences. Fortunately, my husband is not a planner in the travel arena, so he just leaves me to it. But, that being said, I know what things he considers important and plan accordingly.

W3 are spending our first two nights in Italy - May 18th/19th - in a friend's apartment in Benabbio, on the mountain above Bagni di Lucca. We plan on spending our one full day in the area visiting Lucca. We may have to check out Trattoria Gigi for dinner!

We had a fantastic meal at the Cavellino Bianco restaurant in Benabbio last year with some friends who live in Vico Pancellorum (the next hill over from Benabbio). Another great option is the Buca di Baldabo in Vico -- specializes in wild game. Both Baldabbio and Vico are like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride getting up the hill (and even more exciting coming down if you've had wine with dinner) but wonderful places to enjoy.

You may have to just gorge yourself in the one full day you have there!!

That would be crazy for me too Alpinista! I am a planner, that is part of the fun of travelling. I agree with KeithfromVA, have some alternatives planned, do research on what markets are on what days and go from there. But are you going to have a base or are they winging accommodation too? *shudderswithdread**

That would be crazy for me too Alpinista! I am a planner, that is part of the fun of travelling. I agree with KeithfromVA, have some alternatives planned, do research on what markets are on what days and go from there. But are you going to have a base or are they winging accommodation too? *shudderswithdread**

No, the good part about this is that we will be on a boat going down the Canal du Midi. We can moor at a fixed station or just tie up along the banks of the canal at night. My only "have to do" for the entire 11 days we are on the boat is the stop at Carcassonne (has been on my list of places to go for many years) and we are all in agreement on that being the goal of arriving one afternoon and spending a night and another full day there before moving along.

On the note about "fun of traveling" -- I once did a solo hike across Scotland -- Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness to Aberdeen. The route I took was about 210 miles and was done in more driving rain than I ever want to see again in my life. My biggest delight in completing the hike was that I hit every single overnight stopping point that I had mapped out at my desk before ever leaving home -- was extremely proud of being able to do time and distance calculations based on elevation change and detours from route to explore castles, museums, and battlefields (that focus on precision maybe a reason I always did my long distance hikes solo???)

A slightly offbeat suggestion. Have you ever come across the 'tile-laying' game called Carcassonne? It's a very cleverly simple game, yet is re-playable. As you often have time to kill on a boat trip once moored up for the evening (or on a long lock-less stretch for those not involved in steering) it might be an amusing thing to take along.

We had a fantastic meal at the Cavellino Bianco restaurant in Benabbio last year with some friends who live in Vico Pancellorum (the next hill over from Benabbio). Another great option is the Buca di Baldabo in Vico -- specializes in wild game. Both Baldabbio and Vico are like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride getting up the hill (and even more exciting coming down if you've had wine with dinner) but wonderful places to enjoy.

You may have to just gorge yourself in the one full day you have there!!

Cavallino Bianco was closed when we stayed at our friends' place in Benabbio in October 2015. So, I am really hoping it is open this time so we can have dinner there! Getting to Benabbio is kind of exciting too, especially where my friends live, at the very upper edge of the town. Switchback, one lane street with blind corners. You have to keep your fingers crossed no one is coming down while you are driving up and vice versa. But, it's a beautiful place with incredible views!

Alpinista: I believe I got a message from you at my hotel. I hope to hear from you next Saturday and would love to join you Sunday. Other than hitting the antique market Saturday, I will probably be in my hotel (I can only walk about a mile or two a day or I get into trouble). I haven't been to your favorite restaurant Gigi yet (perhaps Sunday?) but be aware that I need to walk very slowly. Will Frances be joining us? I believe she arrives on the 19th.

We have reservations at Gigi's for 1:00 on Sunday -- Frances plans to meet us at your hotel, so all looks good!! If I am not able to reach you by phone on Saturday, we'll definitely be at your hotel on Sunday. Looking forward to it. BTW, Google Maps says it is 600 meters from your hotel to Gigi's -- sound OK?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina