• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Goodbye Ricardo!

Pauline

Forums Admin
Yesterday we went to the funeral of a close SlowTrav friend, Richard Ashworth known as “Ricardo” on the boards. His wife Wendy was “WendyAsh”. We met Richard and Wendy in person first in 2003, in San Quirico d'Orcia for coffee before they were off to Umbria. Since our meeting in person we tried to see each other regularly, visiting with them on our trips to England or meeting up in Europe. Wendy and Richard were instrumental in our move to England, encouraging and helping us with the details. Richard was my go-to guy for questions about the UK.

This is what I posted on Facebook: "Richard was a devoted husband (to the wonderful Wendy) and father (they have two sons), good friend, great traveler (just last year he and Wendy did a 3 week driving tour around France), Italy lover (his nickname was Riccardo), brilliant photographer, really good driver (he drove us down narrow lanes we were afraid to attempt), very good cook (he taught me how to make pizza), cricket expert (he tried to explain the game to Steve), singer (he loved being in a choir), and more things that I can't remember!

It was Richard and Wendy who introduced us to the Dorset coast, where we now live. They showed us the gardens in the Cotswolds and they introduced us to Cornwall, one of my favorite places.

I am so sad that Richard has gone, and he left us too early, but he had a life well lived. Goodbye Richard!"

I forgot to mention that he also made great coffee!

Here is a photo of Richard (on the right) and Steve in 2007 when we met up in Leysin, Switzerland and we got takeout pizza for dinner.

richard-3490.jpg

Very sad news. Thanks for the wonderful write up you gave. My thoughts are truly with Wendy in this very sad time.

So sorry to read this sad news. "Wendy and Richard" will go together in my mind for always. I'm sorry I never had a chance to meet him. My best to Wendy and their sons.

Thank you Pauline for sharing your memories.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina