• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Google Maps and Windows 10 don't like each other

joe

1000+ Posts
I recently "upgraded" to W 10, and have encountered what seems to be a known issue : Google Maps doesn't work with this. I haven't been able to understand if there is a simple way to get around this problem - does anyone here know? Is this something that will be resolved at some point? I'm asking about work on a computer, not a laptop or phone, if this matters. Thanks.

Are you trying to use maps with the Google Chrome browser, Microsoft Edge browser or some other app? I tend to use Google Maps with Chrome on Windows 10.

I'm using Chrome on my computer. Google Maps appears as a blank map. Maybe this glitch happened just recently, I can't recall right now if I used Google Maps since the upgrade. I understand that you manage to work with Google Maps on W 10?

Yes, maps work fine for me in both Chrome as well as Edge on Windows 10. Did you just upgrade from an earlier version of Windows (7 or 8) or get a Windows 10 update?

I basically threw the old computer away and now have a (relatively) new one, that came with W 10 installed on it. Maybe a recent 10 update put Maps out of order? Strange that there's talk of this problem when I did a search...seems to be a known issue.

If that did not work, make sure you are logged in to Google. Maybe the page is not displaying because it is timing out looking for your login. It shouldn’t work like that but maybe it does.

Well, if this is an issue for someone, I found a work-around : for some reason I can access Google Maps in Chrome only when I'm in "Incognito mode" (I can also log in to my Google account through this mode, and in this way access My Maps - in regular mode I can't).

I have no idea why this works, though, and still haven't come across a solution that doesn't involve using "Incognito mode".
Maybe someone who knows the intricacies of the Google-Windows labyrinth will have an idea of why the above "solution" works. I still see on searches that this is a known issue for some users.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have been using Google Maps with Windows 10 / Chrome browser for a couple of years with no issues whatsoever. From prior comments, I suspect sign-in/sinc are the issues.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina