• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Great suitcase for train travel

Kathy

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We're headed back to Europe the day after our American Thanksgiving and will return home on Christmas Eve. The first 15 days we're going to be researching a new "Christmas markets" trip that we hope to offer next year. We'll be staying in Salzburg, Munich, and Colmar in Alsace. The last 13 days we'll be in our apartment in Bonnieux, Provence.

I've been wanting to get some new luggage for several years now, and I'm determined to have something different for this trip. We won't have a car in Salzburg or Munich and will also travel by train from Colmar to Avignon. So I need a rolling bag that would be ideal for the train, something I can manage on and off by myself. It doesn't need to be carry-on size (could be a bit bigger), but I do want the bag itself to be lightweight (though durable) and ideally one that will help me organize some of the contents with pockets etc.

I'm looking to be able to carry about five days of clothes. (I left an extra suitcase in Provence that we can bring back filled with our purchases.)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a great travel rolling bag?

I struggle with this too. The older I get, the lighter I want my suitcase to be! I currently use a 25" Briggs and Riley. It has good wheels and is a soft suitcase. It doesn't have lots of pockets (two on the inside, on the back of the top) but I use packing cubes to organize my stuff. It has a good outside pocket where I stuff a jacket. I also have the 21" version. But what I want is something in between to make it easier to manage. I find the 25" too big to easily pick up and carry, but the 21" too small to hold what I need.

If you are bringing 5 days worth of clothes, I think a small suitcase would be big enough. I love my Travelpro. It's very lightweight.
Like Pauline, I use packing cubes to organize my items. When I was looking for a suitcase, I found that ones with interior pockets tended to weight more. Travelpro also makes a 22" suitcase if you want one just a little bit bigger.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelpro/max-lite-4-21-expandable-spinner/311983?productid=10417667

When I want a larger suitcase, I use my 24" Victorinox Werks traveler. It holds more than many larger suitcases because it is fairly wide. I find it to be very stable and easy to pull around. The link is to the newer version (and I didn't pay nearly this price, waited for a good sale)

http://www.ebags.com/product/victor...0-wt-24-dual-caster/292827?productid=10359049

I also really like ebags. I purchased a different suitcase a few years ago & it feel apart on the trip. They took it back, no questions asked.

I will check these out, thank you!

(I do need some room for purchases, and of course electronics. That's why I was thinking a little bigger than a carryon.)

@SusanSeattle the suitcase I've been using several years is an LL Bean. I think Dixie has the same bag. But it's too wide and ends up being top heavy and doesn't stand up on its own. I do use two packing cubes but I need to do more with this.

Would love any more suggestions!

It seems like most any new bag is lighter than one that's several years old. I have a 24-inch Briggs & Riley, and a 22-inch TravelPro. I have a matching half-size under-the-seat carryon to go with each. Unless I really feel the need to take a bunch of stuff or plan on doing lots of shopping, I prefer the inexpensive TravelPro (I found it 70% off at Macy's) to the Briggs & Riley. Both seem to be well-balanced and don't get top heavy even when they are stacked together. I like packing cubes better than compartments in the bags too.

Both of mine are two-wheeled. Maybe because I'm not tall, I found the spinners kind of uncomfortable because I can't pull them along behind me with my shoulder in a natural position.

I use a 24 inch Briggs and Riley and I love it. But, that being said, I am using it for air travel, not trains. It isn't a spinner, just two wheels. I don't use packing cubes, but I do pack into 2.5 gallon zip locks. I find I can keep my suitcase from becoming a jumble and stay better organized. Plus, if I buy liquids while traveling, I can use the bags on the return trip to protect my clothing from any leaks.

I have been using spinners for quite a while... but only a carry-on size. The wheels on spinners stick out, and can get broken in checked baggage, so I do carry-on only. I like spinners because they stand up, and I can balance a smaller item on them to give my shoulder a break. I currently have a 21" Heys, very light, and it works for 2 -3 week trips. It is rigid, because expandables are tempting, and then it can be hard to squeeze them into the overhead bin. Have used it up and down train stairs, too. No problem.

I now shop at places like TJ Maxx or Ross or Marshalls, because I do like spinners, but have lost a few due to broken wheels.... my Heys was $25, and has lasted for several years now.

I'm now facing a trip with a new-to-me airline, which has a much much stricter carry-on rule, so am trying to rearrange my usual routine and using an old LL Bean rolling duffel, also 21", so I can check it in, but it seems it doesn't really pack as much, so... we'll see.

I think 4 wheel spinners are great if you know you are going to be walking on flat surfaces. I don't think they are good for areas with cobblestones or other uneven surfaces. They roll unevenly and can get stuck.

@Kathy, yes Dixie used to use a duffle style bag that was always falling over. Now she has a 21" Travelpro spinner

For train travel, I like to have all my valuable in a smaller bag that I can keep with me. You often have to leave your suitcase in a place where you can't see it & they are easy to steal.

I have a 21" Briggs and Riley. I really like it for longer International trips. I don't usually expand it unless travelling with heavier clothes and boots. I find it quite comfortable for trains. I love the brand b/c it's rugged and has a lifetime guarantee. My handle recently broke and was fixed without charge on my 10 year old suitcase. I don't like lots of compartments. I know I'm weird that way so it suits me fine.
I just measured it b/c I thought it might be 24" but no it's just 21". My sister has an even smaller version but it's just too small for longer trips unless you want to wash your clothes everyday.

For domestic travel, I use a Samsonite 4-wheel spinner carry-on. When carrying the Samsonite, I use an Eagle Creek tote bag that slides over the handles.

For International, I use Tumi, also a 4-wheel spinner, but one with lighter material and slightly smaller so that it meets International airline measurements. With the Tumi, I use the matching Tumi tote that slides over the handles.

I still have an old GoLite (no longer made) that weighs only 5 lbs and is small, on two wheels without spin.

I've not checked a bag in well over 12 years, but it limits what I can bring back, which isn't such a big deal now as I'm trying not to accumulate more stuff! There's always room for scarves and something for my grandkids.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina