• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Has 'Chambres d'Hotes' been coopted by AirB&B?

We can of course agree to disagree Pauline but I don't think that is the right answer.

I believe I can show up in any village/town you happen to be in and find a self-catering type accommodation (assuming that is what I wanted) to stay in for a week from the day I arrive.

The only way to prove that would be to show up and try. Even then, I might find a place for a week starting the next day or a place 5 km. down the road in the next village, starting today. You would have to insist I find a specific apartment in a specific place on a specific date. That's not what flexibility is about, that is what pre-planning is about. It colours your beliefs.

If someone has an empty Gite in France and I am willing to rent it, you can bet they will be willing to rent it to me. They are indeed 'waiting around' in that case. I don't know why you would choose to believe they are not. That word 'but' you used is only based on a belief, not a proven fact. It is only an opinion and opinions can differ. However, when they differ, they can't all be correct. In a case of no you can't vs. yes you can, one will be right and one will be wrong. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

What really goes on Pauline is that you don't want to take a risk of not finding a place. That's perfectly understandable. So you pre-book. I am willing to take the risk as I really don't even perceive much if any risk and so, don't pre-book. That should also be perfectly understandable. What should not follow is that you say 'but while it may work for hotels, it won't work for apartments.' You have no evidence on which to make that statement and I have in fact said it does work for apartments, based on having done so repeatedly for all kinds of accommodation.

Even joe who prefers pre-booking has given us evidence that winging it works! "Where did we stay those two nights that were planned to be at this farm, but it didn't work out? I took my wife's smartphone, checked the AirBnB website - another paragon of evil ;) - and in an hour I had booked two nights at a nice apartment in a small village nearby." He winged it and in an hour had an apartment. All he has said in support of his usually pre-booking, is that he would prefer to spend that hour in some other way.

Here is what we know. You know that pre-planning works for you. I know that winging it works for me. So we know both work for someone. Both work and that's really all we should say to someone asking about one vs. the other. In regards to Mooph and this thread, we should both be saying to Mooph, you can do what you prefer. End of sentence.

Joe, I'll think about starting a thread on the essence of travel.

Oh my goodness. I had no idea this thread went on so long after my initial posting! It seems I was only notified a few times of followup posts.

I didn't mean to spark a long discussion between pro and anti 'winging it' approaches to travel. And the points made by all here each have validity. I actually do a mix of both reserved and last minute lodging. I researched France guest houses and Chambres d'Hotes websites, seeking homes with signs of authenticity, which is the heart of my quest. When I stumble upon a place whose host is French and seems to enjoy meeting even Americans, then I'm hooked to go meet that person. I'll book there. If nothing strikes me, I'll take my chances.

My original post was at heart a reminiscence of times gone by, a lament for the loss of the Chambres d'Hotes book, and the feel of many places I stumbled upon. This is just me, but I'd prefer a lumpy bed, dusty floor and kind madame of generous, kind heart to a spotless Ikea white formica room with a fine Temperpedic mattress owned by a millennial emigre from another country.

For this coming six week trip, I will base myself at a friend's place in a small village south of Chateau Theiry. I'll do a combination of day trips and longer meanders, some south to Beautiful Villages, then over to Alsace. I may end up visiting a friend in Vaison la Romaine.

Thank you all for responses. If you have favorite websites for 'authentic' listings, let me know.

Mooph

Oh my goodness. I had no idea this thread went on so long after my initial posting!
I didn't mean to spark a long discussion between pro and anti 'winging it' approaches to travel.

Actually this was a nice discussion and debate - so no need to apologize. I'd be happy to see more debates on the forum, of course as long as they are carried out in a polite manner.

Right now we are in France for six weeks. We have an itinerary w places pre-rented or reservations made. However we decided to leave our rental home two days early this week. We found two great Chambres d'hôte via cybevasion.fr. The first night we had a little cabana type home and access to the pool w/breakfast of course. We opted for the table d'hôtes and had the best five course meal with wine and we ate with the owners. Total bill €115.00! Experience and conversation = priceless. Last night we stayed in a very old house that used to be a family hotel during the war. €60, lovely breakfast and friendly host. It's still possible, Mooph!!

Laura

Last edited:
Great news, Laura! Thanks. I'll bookmark the cybevaison.fr site. Just out of curiosity, do you use a smartphone to access that site via internet, or, do you use an app for it, or use a tablet's internet? (I'm trying to plan my tech strategy, and don't know if these B&B type websites have apps, or are only available online.)

Mooph

Hi Mooph,

I use an iPad, but I could've used my laptop or phone. I didn't use an App.

Some of the Chambres came up with a Booking.com page, I just ignored those and went directly to owners' pages. There I was able to email or call owner direct.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina