• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Heathrow Security for connections

Cameron

500+ Posts
Hi,

I'll be connecting through LHR this spring on my way to Nice, France. My last few trips to LHR, London was my destination.
  1. For a connection, I assume I'll have to go through security again to board the flight to a European country. True? I have three hours, carry-on only, so I'm not too concerned (business class flight line). If so...
  2. It seems security in LHR often asks me to move my toiletries from my ziplock bag to theirs -- while in line. What's the difference in size, so I can try to match the size? I use the quart size ziplock here in the US.
  3. In the US, a solid toiletry, like a deodorant or soap bar, doesn't have to be placed in the clear bag. I think I remember having to put these items in the clear bag for LHR security. Is that still the case?
Thanks!

All I can offer is my experience connecting through LHR from VCE. It didn't matter that I was in Biz Class...I had checked a bag but did notice a LOT of people trying to grab their toiletries and put them in a baggie (many seasoned travelers already had such items ready for the "bins"). I had to remove my knee high boots....again...my cabin bag was flagged and searched by hand...evidently the very well packaged ceramic cat I bought in Venice caused the woman some confusion. I explained what it was (I did not want to have to unwrap it although of course I would have if asked). She seemed satisfied with my description and off I went. I had a 3 hour layover so this unexpected delay didn't cause me any extra stress. More wine in the BA lounge :)
I'll follow this thread as I am also flying through LHR to NCE.

Pokey

1. If you are flying from the US, almost certainly you will need to pass through security at LHR.

2. Yes, a 1 quart clear plastice bag will be acceptable.

3. I don't think you have to segregate solids. We went through LHR in December and this January. I had a solid deodorant and didn't put it in a bag. HOWEVER, keep in mind you are subject to the desires of the security person checking you through. Items that pass through by one may not pass through another. To be safe put anything you think might not pass in a plastic bag. Otherwise they may pull your bag aside and you'll have to wait for a thorough inspection.

I remember once at LHR something on my carry on alerted them. They not only searched the bag thoroughly, but also took a lot of swabs to detect explosives. Fortunately I was in no rush for my connection. I hate flying through LHR because of security, but unfortunately since my preferred carrier is American, I'm often on a BA flight.

I found the answer online for FAQs at Heathrow.

https://www.heathrow.com/customer-s...Not Considered a liquid:&text=Stick deoderant

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 8.40.38 AM.png

This is a PS type of message. When I left Paris in December, powders seem to be the new cause for concern. They asked about coffee grounds in my luggage! So, heads-up if you're carrying anything powdered. I carry Gatorade powder packets, and Stevia packets, going into a country, but they're gone on my return.

Are you on the same carrier the whole way? You may already know this but you may have to change terminals.

Great. I found a lot of information on the airport both on the Heathrow site and also on Flyertalk. I was flying during the strikes so I wanted the latest on the situations. I was on AA so I avoided all the chaos since I was at Terminal 3 but got familiar with a lot of the information on BA and Terminal 5.

Great. I found a lot of information on the airport both on the Heathrow site and also on Flyertalk. I was flying during the strikes so I wanted the latest on the situations. I was on AA so I avoided all the chaos since I was at Terminal 3 but got familiar with a lot of the information on BA and Terminal 5.
American Airlines has a great "arrivals lounge" above the baggage claim area in Terminal 3. My direct flight is the "Glaxo" flight, so it arrives 7am. The lounge has huge private shower rooms -- large enough to actually relax. The breakfast is better than average, too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina