• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Me Decide Between These 3 in The Loire

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
After trolling endlessly through multiple sites, I've come up with the finalists for our 1 week stay (Aug 30-Sept 7). Some of the issues: Country or town or village? Car or no? View? We love staying in the countryside and having a glass of wine while gazing at the buccolic countryside. But we also like being in a town (not too large) but with boulangeries and cafes within walking distance. We don't want to drive for miles to have an evening meal.

Amboise was recommended by the groom of the wedding we will be attending in Tours. He grew up in the area and loves Amboise. Although I've heard it can be touristy, I've also heard it is quiet, quaint and central.

http://www.vrbo.com/370060?
It's a studio very central. Owner sounds lovely. Concerns warm in early Sept a little dark, no view

The next 2 are in the countryside near town of Montrichard also a fave of the groom.

http://www.domaine-de-la-chapelle.net/home.html
We would rent either the studio or gite. There isn't a calendar and I just wrote so don't know if either are available.

This last 1 seems to be 1 of many cottages rented by same owner. 1 of then does not have a good review. She got back to me in a timely fashion.
http://www.loire.net/#/maison-requin/4580119539
http://www.loire.net/#/maison-requin/4580119539
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I add another suggestion? I've stayed in this lovely little stone cottage a few miles outside Montrichard twice, and it's one of my favorite places in the world. The last photo in this listing isn't the cottage, but another one nearby that the owners have sold. This place is small, just a studio with a huge bath/dressing room, but it's very special. Here's my review from my first stay in 2004 -- the kitchen has been updated since then. There are also a couple of other great reviews of the cottage on slowtrav.

Can I add another suggestion? I've stayed in this lovely little stone cottage a few miles outside Montrichard twice, and it's one of my favorite places in the world. The last photo in this listing isn't the cottage, but another one nearby that the owners have sold. This place is small, just a studio with a huge bath/dressing room, but it's very special. Here's my review from my first stay in 2004 -- the kitchen has been updated since then. There are also a couple of other great reviews of the cottage on slowtrav.
Chris,
I looked at this cottage. While lovely, I think it may be a little remote for our needs. In another review, Shannon mentions tht it is way out in the country. I think it's this cottage. I also believe they sold 1 of their rentals. I think we want easy access to a village and not feel we have to drive everywhere.
I read they sold the property you linked to and have a smaller one. I don't think that would work for us.

The property Chris linked IS the smaller of the 2 Karen and Craig own, or owned -- they sold the larger one. It's a delightful, large 1-room cottage plus bath with a huge walk-in shower, and it's maybe 5 minutes to Montrichard. We've stayed there many times in the past and will do so again -- Karen and Craig are great hosts, and the cottage is spotless and full of personal touches like the flowers by the bed., pictured below.
La Barauderie.jpg

We were in Amboise a few years ago in July and it was a bit of a zoo at the main tourist sites, but it is a pretty town. I think the apartment looks nice.

We were in Amboise a few years ago in July and it was a bit of a zoo at the main tourist sites, but it is a pretty town. I think the apartment looks nice.
Well we're going round in circles. I think Amboise will be too touristed as well, Pauline. I was going on a recommendation. So we're sorta back to the beginning. i'm thinking we might be happier exploring a less touristed part of the Loire if I can figure out where that is. So now I'm thinking...an extra day in Tours and do something we haven't done in years go to several different bandbs or small hotels staying 2 or 3 nights in each.
Chinon, Cheroncereau, Montrichard.....well that's my latest at 1am.

The property Chris linked IS the smaller of the 2 Karen and Craig own, or owned -- they sold the larger one. It's a delightful, large 1-room cottage plus bath with a huge walk-in shower, and it's maybe 5 minutes to Montrichard. We've stayed there many times in the past and will do so again -- Karen and Craig are great hosts, and the cottage is spotless and full of personal touches like the flowers by the bed., pictured below.View attachment 195
This property is completely booked.

We stayed at Les Mortiers, a few years ago. They are in the countryside north of the river and Saumer, near a small village. The places are very nice and the people who run them very welcoming. I did not like the nearby villages (pretty but nothing in them), but Saumur is lovely.

Here are two things that I loved in this area:
Photos - Bagneux Dolmen
Photos - Madeline Dolmen

And here is my short trip report for that trip.

My favorite village, recommended to me by Chris, was Chinon.

We stayed at Les Mortiers, a few years ago. They are in the countryside north of the river and Saumer, near a small village. The places are very nice and the people who run them very welcoming. I did not like the nearby villages (pretty but nothing in them), but Saumur is lovely.

Here are two things that I loved in this area:
Photos - Bagneux Dolmen
Photos - Madeline Dolmen

And here is my short trip report for that trip.

My favorite village, recommended to me by Chris, was Chinon.

Pauline,
I loved the trip report. I think we enjoy the same things. Although I imagine I like food and wine more than you do. Bad coffee! Mon dieu that could ruin a trip. I love beautiful countryside, interesting but not twee towns and villages and beautiful gardens. I am totally in love with the Cotswolds and have been ever since I climbed overy a stile and lay down in a farmer's fields.I would prefer to be in or near a village with amenities. I'm not interested in chateaux or wine tastings.
The Loire is a large area. We really didn't want to drive too much. We love biking. So based on the groom's suggestions and the fact that we must be in Tours, we focused on Amboise and vicinity.

I reread the wedding invite and the reception is at the chateau in Vilandry. The wedding itself is at the cathedral in Tours. Pretty sweet, I think.

But now, after I initially told Ron, I can't bear moving id we're only staying a week, I think we may sample 2 simple hotels or chambres d'hote.

I cannot believe how much time this short trip is taking. I long for the days when we would just show up with our backpacks and take potluck.

I spent all day yesterday and this morning just finalizing details for our May trip. I am amazed at how much time (and money) gets sucked into travel planning!! So, I feel your pain :)

Maybe you should just stay in Tours? I haven't been there, so really don't know. But the two hotels idea is good. Hotels are easier to find than vacation rentals and you can book without paying everything up front.

I don't know what happened to me on that Loire trip. I loved those two dolmen that we found. But, I got bored and tired out by the big houses and gardens. My friend Chris loves the Loire and thinks it is because we went in July when it was too hot and crowded. And probably we did too much driving.

Hey Pauline,
I love your honesty. I wish I had looked closer at the recommendations of Parigi in previous thread. She suggested the area around and the town of Chinon. I had bookmarked a basic hotel (Diderot) but then got carried away looking for that perfect rental. We will be in Tours 4 days. I think that will be enough.
Just when I've decided on staying in a hotel or chambres d'hote, I saw a sweet place with no reviews in the countryside near Chinon. I've emailed. My OH is totally fed up:mad:

I really did like Chinon, although I've always stayed in the place I recommended above (I'm not surprised that they're booked up for the season). All three of my stays in the area have been in late April or early May, so I have a hard time relating to the idea of crowds of tourists. Another idea would be to look south of the Cher, in or near Montresor or Loches. They aren't as touristed and it's lovely countryside for biking and wandering around.

As a rule, I'm not crazy about very formal gardens, but the gardens at Villandry are fabulous. I especially love the formal vegetable gardens.

Lisa, I'm sorry that La Barauderie is booked. One good resource for both vacation rentals and B&Bs is Alastair Sawday's web site. I think it's easiest to use the map to search for places in the area you're interested in. Good luck!

We were in Amboise in May several years ago, and it was not overly touristed. But of course summer is the high season. I'm not sure how the first week in September would be. Maybe most of the Parisians would be heading home by then. Anyway, we stayed at a lovely little B&B Le Clos d'Amboise, which was a bit away from the most touristed section, but close enough to walk everywhere. We did really like the town and its location. The B&B was quite private and had beautiful grounds, as well as spacious rooms.

We've decided to go the B&B route. This after endlessly searhing for the perfect rental. See above. We were about to rent The Coachman's apartment in Amboise. It looks lovely. But I still felt it wasn't quite right. No balcony, a little dark etc. I was also getting concerned about basing in Amboise. Honestly talk about overthinking.
Anyway, went and reread some old threads on ST and TA and changed everything! Realised we might be in Tours an exta day with wedding . For such a short period, we probably wouldn't do much cooking so don't really need a kitchen. I was also reluctant to give up my desire for some garden or terrace space. So I've contacted several places in and around Montrichard and Chinon. The plan is NOT to slow travel but to base in 2 or 3 bbs. All within a short drive of each other.
Stay posted!

We were in Amboise in May several years ago, and it was not overly touristed. But of course summer is the high season. I'm not sure how the first week in September would be. Maybe most of the Parisians would be heading home by then. Anyway, we stayed at a lovely little B&B Le Clos d'Amboise, which was a bit away from the most touristed section, but close enough to walk everywhere. We did really like the town and its location. The B&B was quite private and had beautiful grounds, as well as spacious rooms.
Roz,
Thanks for reminding me about this lovely looking hotel. I had eliminated it when we thought we'd be renting an apartment. While most of the bbs we're considering are less expensive, Le Clos looks wonderful and I think we might treat ourselves for 1 night.
There is so much to choose from, I'm driving my OH crazy!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina