• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

International drivers license needed?

kathyb

10+ Posts
Hi, apologies if this is addressed elsewhere but I did not see it in the Driving in Italy thread. I seem to remember that when we went to Tuscany in 2005 we got international drivers licenses - we are renting a car. Is this necessary? Can anyone on here share your experience? I'm American with a US drivers license.

thanks! Kathy

Like Joe, I always get one. Even had one the last time we went and used only trains. I figured it would come in handy if we decided on the spur of the moment to rent. AAA makes it easy since they'll do the photos too.

The car agencies now mention that it is required, even if they don't always ask to see it. It's easy and inexpensive, even though the odds of needing to show it (an accident or other road issue) are very, very low, I think that this is one expense that falls in the "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" category.

Got stopped in a random traffic check a few years back and they asked for the driver's IDP. Also told by a hotel that we stayed at this year that they required an IDP to let us check out the motor scooters they had on site (not that an IDP gives you certification to operate a scooter and not sure why they wouldn't just use a passport for identification, but that was their requirement).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina