• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ischia or Paestum?

JimL

10+ Posts
Will be in Sorrento for a week in Oct. For a day trip we are considering renting a car and visiting Paestum or taking a ferry to Ischia. The ruins in Paestum look interesting and we don't mind driving to see them.

After a Google search it doesn't seem there is much to do in Ischia other than marvel at the beautiful scenic views. Any recommendations?

Grazie, Jim

Ischia is wonderful for wandering among the ruins, but Paestum is like finding yourself in Greece for the day. Paestum will fill much less of your time, but will give you a very special experience. If you are interested in WW II history, there are also sites near Paestum that are worth a short visit.

I agree with the above posters - Paestum. You will have sun and sea in Sorrento. Paestum is a nice drive and the greek temples are fabulous. As good as those in Sicily.

Will you also go, or have you gone to, Pompeii?

Edited to add: I've never been to Ischia!!

I spent at day at the fabulous spa Negombo on Ischia. If you're a hot pool nut, this is spectacular. I believe I was there in late September. Beautiful weather but no people. Great cafeteria. It's on a lovely cove beach and you can wander this rugged spa environment up and down and around and find all sorts of pools of different designs and temperature. It was a great contrast to the craziness of Naples.

It's like trying to choose between lobster or steak - both are great, right?
The ferry from Sorrento to Ischia takes only an hour; the drive from Sorrento to Paestum will be at least 1:45.
I recall Paestum is kind of by itself with nothing of note in the immediate vicinity. The Greek ruins there are truly impressive.
Ischia has several very charming villages (particularly Sant'Angelo) and many many "terme" - spas. Very different vibe than Sorrento. Like Allegrojane, I've been to Negombo, and absolutely loved it. In addition to various pools, springs, baths, saunas etc Ischian spas typically offer massages and facials. The health center at Negombo has all kinds of additional treatments including "iontophoresis" and "frigotherapy" (?!)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina