• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italy New Year's

Joe Baumann

10+ Posts
I am in the planning stages of a trip to Italy in January. I initially was going to schedule to depart New Year's Eve. Then I thought there probably won't be any stores or restaurants open on January 1 in order to get something to eat. I then decided to change the dates for the 7th through 21st. When I first started researching there wasn't much of a price difference for leaving 12/31 vs 1/7. Now the flights for later dates are so much more expensive than departing on New Year's Eve.

For those who have been in Italy on New Year's, what's your experience in closures during the first week, i.e., stores, restaurants, sites. I know it is a holiday for Italians through January 6. The plan is to arrive at FCO and depart MXP.

New Years there is magical, however absolutely nothing is open New Year’s Day. I’d get there several days before so you can prepare and enjoy.

It's school vacation time through the 6th, but otherwise you should find things open other than on New Year's Day.

I live in Italy. Everything will be closed on New Year's Day. After, everything will be open as normal except for 6th January which is a holiday. On that day public transport will follow the festivities timetable and smaller shops will be closed.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina