• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Just back from Giulia's

Valerie

100+ Posts
I can't imagine why we never made it up to the Urbino area during the years we lived in Le Marche, but finally went and stayed at Giulia's fantastic Valle Nuova. What a beautiful place! The farm has gorgeous views and such utter peace that we slept far later than we've done in years! It was fun to see Giulia again and the apartment was the best equipped we've seen. She thought of everything you could possibly want and included it in the amenities - even a soft cooler bag to take picnics or keep drinks cold while touring around! Truly, it was a joy to spend a few days there. The little dog and the sweet kitties welcomed us warmly, too! :)

We met Giulia at the Assisi get-together (GTG) in 2007 when we were at Villa Rosy. I was happy to see her add two vacation rentals to her B&B (because I am much happier spending a week in a vacation rental than staying in a B&B) and have been planning to go there. Thanks for testing it out Valerie - now I need to get something booked.

What day trips did you do in the area? How far is Valle Nuova from Urbino?

Link to Giulia's Valle Nuova.

She has three apartments, I think. We were in Casina dei Cavalli, a cozy cottage-like one, really cute. She did a nice job of making a small space really comfortable and not feel cramped. It was great to sit out on the deck and watch the sunset, and was just a couple steps from the pool.

It's in the country, of course, but just a few minutes from Fermignano and about 20 minutes from the prettier town of Urbania, where we went for dinner one night. Urbino is only about a half-hour (or less) and we spent a day there. We went up to San Marino for a day, too, stopping first in San Leo as Giulia recommended (stunning sight). We didn't go to the beach, but I think lots of guests do go to the coast for a day as it's less than hour away.

We wanted to visit some wineries so she set us up with a local guide who did a nice tour and took us to see how the local acclaimed formaggio di fossa is made. Giulia and her parents are very sweet, and we had literally everything we could think of available right there, and they told us which shops in Fermignano were best for organic items, etc. We stalked around the weekly market one morning.

It's a beautiful area, less populated than southern Marche, at least in these hills, and still very rural feeling, yet Urbino is kind of upscale and artsy. A fun time!

I loved Urbania (which my friend Ellen and I visited with Giulia), and Fermignano. As for the formaggio di fossa, (aka pecorino di fossa) I love it! For a while, we could get it here in the US, at Fairway anyway, but not for the past couple of years. Also loved Urbino, of course.

Another enthusiastic vote for Giulia's establishment....we stayed there for a couple of nights a number of years ago and I have sent at least one client there and would be happy to send more--if I could convince them to go Le Marche.

Lots to do in the area and the food and wine is great....

Oh! I missed this... Been very busy with guests since Valerie left.
Thank you very much Valerie! I'm glad that you liked the Casina dei Cavalli.
I'm always glad to help with suggestions about Northern Le Marche and surroundings, even if, as Jim points out this is not the most popular region in Italy.. still wondering why.
Pauline I'll be waiting for you!!

even if, as Jim points out this is not the most popular region in Italy.. still wondering why.

Giulia - that's a question we've always wondered since we lived in Ascoli. It's beautiful landscapes, wonderful towns, art, beaches....unbelievable that it's not more popular!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina