• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Landing at Malpensa in the wee hours

joe

1000+ Posts
How does it work if you land at Malpensa at something like one in the morning (01:00)? Do the various airport hotels all offer around-the-clock check-in ? And what is usually the latest check-out time? I can't seem to find this information on their websites. Thanks!

Yes they do - though on the one occasion we did this, it was a pretty dispiriting experience, so I wish you better luck.

Idea hotel: They had a mix up on the room booking had us waiting for 30 minutes, unsure of whether we'd have a bed for the night, room was baking hot with no aircon & ground floor, so we had the windows open wide but couldn't sleep. Cheap but not at all cheerful.

Airport taxi: Gouging price for what would have been only 40 minutes on foot. At midnight after a long day + flight, you're not in the best mindset to call them on it.

Hopefully others can suggest better places to stay, ideally avoiding needing a taxi (or if it does, arranging one via the hotel / b&b)

Thanks Ian!
I am aware that these arrival times are problematic, and trying to avoid them - it's just a matter of deciding between two sub-optimal flight times at the moment.
How about check-out times? I haven't stayed in a hotel in years....would it be something like 11:00 at the Malpensa accommodations?
Taxis IAC are not in my travel glossary....

There is a Sheraton Hotel with an entrance in the terminal at MXP. We stayed there in 2018 when we had a weird layover. It was a nice hotel and we saw several flight crews checking in or out at late hours. Decent restaurant and bar on site.

Thanks JMichael. The Sheraton has a proper website, and I managed to find the check-out time : 12 PM.
Prices are out of my range, but if I'd land there at 01:00 at least I'd have enough time to sleep before check-out....:)

I remember from SlowTrav a hotel near Milan Airport that many people loved but I don’t remember the name! It was not in the airport but was affordable and nearby. I’ll hunt around to see if I have the name when we get home on the weekend.

Most hotels have a checkout time of 11 or noon in my experience. Vacation rentals always seem to be 10am!

Thanks Andrew, looks suitable price-wise. They don't state check-out time, but I'm supposing it's standard. They do offer a late check-out option of 17:00 - for an additional 25 Euros. Business is business....;)

Joe--I see what you mean about the Sheraton. We stayed there before Marriott bought them out. Since Marriott established Bonvoy it seems the prices went up on all their properties.

In October 2018 I stayed at the Cardano Hotel Malpensa. They have 24-hour front desk. Check-out is 11:00 am but you may be able to arrange a later one. They have a free shuttle to/from the airport, but you'd want to check if they offer it at the time you need it. It was a nice, clean hotel with friendly desk clerks who spoke English.

Thanks Kathy. In the end I have decided to strike out the option of arriving at an hour like this, and to prefer to add a day and a more comfortable landing time. In this case - in which we are considering a short trip to Torino - I think that keeping a more natural routine will be the best choice for us, even though this will cost us more.
IAC good to know how to handle an early morning arrival, for future reference.

We’ve stayed at both hotel Cardano and Cervo on various trips. Cervo is closer to the airport (you can hear the planes taking off) and more typically Italian, Cardano was more like a mid range US hotel but both were fine and didn’t break the bank.

Hi Joe,

I see that you have changed your plans regarding landing time so you probably are no longer looking at hotels.

I thought I would add this anyways since Hotel Cervo was recommended. I stayed there in 2005 - so a while ago now, but I will never stay there again. I spent a horrible night at this hotel. Hopefully it has changed since my stay.

Here is an excerpt from my blog on my stay there:

The shuttle arrived a few minutes after finding the pick up spot. The man driving the shuttle was very helpful and told me where I would need to go the next day for my Continental flight.

When we arrived at the hotel, Hotel Cervo, I was a little leary. The area did not seem very nice, but I figured I was only staying at the hotel for the night and so it was not a big deal. Unfortunately things got much worse.

I was given a room that stunk of smoke. It was on the bottom floor of the older section of the hotel. Across from my room was a little neighborhood which ended up being quite noisy (some sort of construction work going on much of the night). The smell of the smoke was so strong that it seemed as if the person just left an hour earlier after smoking three packs of cigarettes with all the windows closed.

The hotel room had two windows. The window in the bedroom with bars on the outside and a window in the bathroom that opened up right into the parking lot. I opened the windows for about an hour to see if I could air out the room with no luck and then went back to check to see if there were any other rooms available. The hotel was booked and I was stuck in that room. I probably should have tried to switch rooms right away, but most likely I would have been stuck in that room anyways and who’s to say if all the other rooms would have reeked of smoke.

After a couple of hours, the mosquitoes started coming in and so I was only able to leave the window open a tiny bit with the curtain closing off the opening. I also did not feel comfortable leaving the bathroom window open at night because the window was pretty easy for anyone to climb through.

I ate dinner at the hotel. It was just ok. Then, I went back to my room for the night. I am fortunate that this was the only bad experience during my trip. It’s just too bad it ended up being my last night in Italy.

If departing from Malpensa in the future, I will definitely look into alternative accommodations and will definitely never stay at Hotel Cervo again! I’m not even going to add a link to this hotel in my resource section. You don’t want to stay there!

Thanks Susan - always good to hear different points of view. Let's hope that things have changed for the better after fifteen years. Nowadays, with the proliferation of customer reviews on travel/booking sites, it's hard to hide bad service.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina