• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lazio..not Rome..marriage counseling needed

michele29

10+ Posts
We, actually my husband, is thinking of staying someplace other than Rome ( WHY?) when we next travel to Italy. He wants to explore the area outside the city. From my limited research I can’t seem to find a place where two people who like cities would be happy. Anyone have suggestions?

I am advocating for day trips.

probably be in Lazio for a week to ten days in April.

The easy option is to give 5 days to the city and 5 days elsewhere. For ease of arrival / familiarity (and potentially warmer weather outside the city) you might do Rome first and then venture out, perhaps with a car. That's slightly against my usual preference for having a rural place to get over the flight / jet lag first, before hitting a big city.

If you don't mind another city (and you've mentioned you like them), then there's probably not a better place than Rome to connect with, as not only do all roads lead to Rome, but so do most of the train lines.

To get a feel for options, click on the Frecciargento, Frecciabianca (this is a slightly slower service) and Frecciarossa 'more information', which has maps showing the connections for these superb fast & comfortable train services. Note that Italo now provides high speed competition as well, so worth a look.

Some thoughts
- Florence or Naples offer what might feel like opposite ends of the spectrum. The former fancy and strongly touristed, with lots to see, the latter more intimate & soulful / real / gritty, but also with plenty to see.
- Bologna a city that has tourism, but is far from beholden to it. Arguably the best food shopping in Italy, and with the option to visit producers of Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan & Prosciutto. It's also got lots of porticoed streets, including plenty of genuinely historic ones, so the weather isn't a limiting factor
- La Spezia acts as a gateway to Cinque Terre, and Beerman has posted a lovely trip report with lots of photos to tempt you.

All of these can be good for airports with good coverage, so you can fly into Rome, but out of another airport like Bologna, Pisa or Florence.

So many other places to consider as well, but I'd definitely applaud taking a simplistic transfer option of a direct fast and comfortable train, which itself can be a highlight (especially if you take along a nice picnic)

Grazie
Huge fan of Naples..spent a week there last year.

Love Bologna..haven’t been in some time. Not only is the city interesting, but it’s an easy hop to other spots. Thanks for jogging the ole memory.

Any thoughts on Orvieto?

We loved Orvieto, good place to base to visit Lago Bolsena, Perugia, Spoleto too. But not a city in the sense of Bologna or Rome. We spent a day in May but could easily have stayed longer.
Why has it got to be in Lazio?
Why not consider Siena as a base for Tuscany day trips but which could be busy in April. Or Puglia: Bari, easy day trips by train or even better, Trani ......
Puglia is splendid out of season!!
I spent a week in La Spezia in January but there are some not so attractive areas there. I liked it as a base but I travel a lot in Italy and it wouldn't be on my top ten.
Lucca?

Thanks for all the suggestions. This time we want a base in Lazio. For some tech reason beyond my comprehension Orvieto showed- up in Lazio. Nope, it’s Umbria..love Umbria.

Here’s a tech travel chuckle: I typed in Rome to Mantua. I got an estimated 3 hours which seemed short to me. Yup, Rome, GA to Mantua, AL.

It’s about five hours in Italy.

I typed in Rome to Mantua. I got an estimated 3 hours which seemed short to me. Yup, Rome, GA to Mantua, AL.
The US is so big and so full of places that were started by immigrants, that there must be many duplicate names like these.
One of my all-time favorite movies is "Paris, Texas". ;)

"We, actually my husband, is thinking of staying someplace other than Rome ( WHY?) when we next travel to Italy. He wants to explore the area outside the city."

Michelle, from someone who has been married for 48 years, I always went by the saying, "happy wife, happy life".

However, my wife, in her wisdom, realized that sometimes a happy husband was important and she would defer to something she knew I really wanted.

I'm just saying that maybe you need to let this one go and humor the poor guy! :p

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina