• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lidia Poet

We started watching Lidia Poet on Netflix - an Italian mystery based on Lidia Poet who successfully struggled to become Italy’s first woman lawyer. It’s set in Torino in the 1880’s and the scenery and costumes are exquisite.
Loving it!

I started watching, but was disappointed to discover that much of the story presented isn't true at all. I never understand why people think the real story isn't interesting enough! (Lidia never married, nor did her brother - meaning the entire storyline of her SIL and neice was complete fabrication, including the 'romance' with the SIL's brother)

All true - but it’s not a documentary, so wasn’t expecting true to life story. It’s the sets, costumes and feel of 19th century Torino that makes it fun.

I started watching, but was disappointed to discover that much of the story presented isn't true at all. I never understand why people think the real story isn't interesting enough! (Lidia never married, nor did her brother - meaning the entire storyline of her SIL and neice was complete fabrication, including the 'romance' with the SIL's brother)
Agreed - if you're going to present a historical figure, don't make the story up. There's often an opportunity to fill in a gap in knowledge with something feasible/credible, but changing major and fully known elements is a huge turn-off (literally). As Lidia herself wrote
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
;)

Such an approach is a shame, as I daresay I would otherwise have watched it for a little Torino fix.

Last edited:
Enjoy all the ST’er comments but tough audience, I think. As a well crafted - if a bit surprisingly sexually explicit - well acted, beautifully costumed, and engaging 19th century (?) courtroom procedural with a sharply smart, strong-willed, fully sexual female lead who won’t easily be kept down in a man’s world, what’s not to like? Friends, are we really relying on a Netflix made for tv mystery series to primarily provide an accurate history lesson. For me, an engaging (even if apparently fictionalized) very well crafted production with a story line rather different than most and excellent in many ways is more than welcome.
Very interested in what other intrepid viewers think.

Enjoy all the ST’er comments but tough audience, I think. As a well crafted - if a bit surprisingly sexually explicit - well acted, beautifully costumed, and engaging 19th century (?) courtroom procedural with a sharply smart, strong-willed, fully sexual female lead who won’t easily be kept down in a man’s world, what’s not to like? Friends, are we really relying on a Netflix made for tv mystery series to primarily provide an accurate history lesson. For me, an engaging (even if apparently fictionalized) very well crafted production with a story line rather different than most and excellent in many ways is more than welcome.
Very interested in what other intrepid viewers think.
In full agreement.

Thanks for posting Penn251, but I have to agree with artnbarb and Ian. It's a complete turn off where so much was made up. It's one thing to embellish an historical event, but it is quite another to go George Santos on it. :meh:

Thanks for posting Penn251, but I have to agree with artnbarb and Ian. It's a complete turn off where so much was made up. It's one thing to embellish an historical event, but it is quite another to go George Santos on it. :meh:
It’s not a documentary or even a biopic - perhaps you all might enjoy it if it wasn’t names Lidia Poet. If so, watch it that way. I grew up watching Disney’s Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett - I really didn’t care if the stories were true to life. But, as they say art is in the eyes of the beholder - so everyone’s opinion is valid.

Interesting that the series is being very positively reviewed internationally, including in Italy! Some are also applauding it’s release in time for International Women's’ History month.

This subject may have brought out very differing views, but that's cool. Polite (and it has been polite) disagreement can be very healthy.

I was a literature major and was told in an early class that "Literature is a world bounded on one side by history and on the other by philosophy". I chose to focus on the historical side of literature and am often appalled at how much of "history" is learned from fictionalized accounts.

In a world having nothing to do with Italy, am currently rending garments and gnashing teeth over the movie, "Cocaine Bear" being advertised as a "true story". The true story is that the bear found the cocaine in the woods; ingested it; died; was found three months later. About as much validity as many of the books and movies in the fictional history category. Movies such as this should have a disclaimer running about every five minutes saying, "Not even remotely true" ;-) ;-)

And yet, already considered a cult classic slasher flick (trailer ad states ‘inspired by true events’ - who’s to argue with inspiration?)

And yet, already considered a cult classic slasher flick (trailer ad states ‘inspired by true events’ - who’s to argue with inspiration?)
I had a giggle at that, as 'inspired by' (e.g. 'inspired by nature', 'inspired by dentists') has become popular in marketing to imply an association that has no basis in fact whatsoever. It's certainly vague enough to ensure the advertising standards watchdog doesn't stop them.

OK, I watched episode 1 today. You are right, the scenery and costumes are first rate. Just personally I couldn't really get into the story, but I concede it wouldn't matter to me if most of it was fictionalized. It just wasn't my cup of espresso! :)

As an aside, I recommended to a female friend to at least watch the first episode just to see the dragon fly pin she was wearing. My friend loves dragon flies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina