• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lombardy? Milan and small towns?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
My husband and I leave in early September, fly to Milan and have a couple of days there to unwind [this is a repeat trip] and then have about 6 days to tour around [we will have a car]. We've never been to northern Italy before & would love some suggestions even for this short a trip. I thought we might want to go to Turin to 'see' the Shroud & then go to the area of Lake Como & Maggiore and just drive around and seeing things [& taking photos as well]. I have maps and books but would appreciate suggestions of things not to miss or possible itineraries for a this timeframe. We have lodging near Malpensa at the end so I'm trying to fill the middle of the trip with great memories. Both of us enjoy just meandering and stopping in small towns/villages for a visit or meal and maybe for lodging....sort of free floating travel.

Looks fascinating - but that also seems like a pretty far distance from Milan & surrounding area. Of course, that might mean changing general idea from Lakes district to the south....but we have been to Nice, Genoa, etc. in SE France and W Italy....Ill be sure to keep it in Ming for out next trip to France or Italy.

One place over the border in Piemonte, but very close indeed to Malpensa - Ghemme. In itself, it's nothing to look at, being a criss-cross of streets with virtually no greenery in the centre... yet very few cars use the roads so it's easy to walk / cycle around. There is an old mediaeval centre incorporating one of the wine producers (Rovelotti IIRC) but it's not particularly big. So why go there?

It is a pretty friendly place, including one of the happiest gelato sellers I've come across, a lady who appears as if she's amazed someone pays her to do what she loves. No fancy restaurants in the centre of town, but Al Gufo Nero did very tasty food for lunch via a carvery trolley (I braved the braised donkey and it was wonderful). Plenty of reasonably priced wineries, with Cantalupo being the best known (and hence priciest). We've loved visiting a smaller, more modest place called Mirù, where pretty decent wines can be bought for ~ €7 a bottle, though their Ghemme is a little more. The big appeal for us though, is the Agriturismo Il Cavenago, best visited on a weekend (or when they have the kitchen open for a group) as the meals are that Agriturismo speciality, the multi course banquet, which requires a little care as it's easy to feel full before the Antipasti / Primi are finished. The Risotto dishes are the best I've tasted - the basil risotto giving me one of those goofy grins. The rooms are large and full of old oak, with similarly impressive/traditional furnishings, but the bathrooms are by comparison very modern (a good combo in our book). The central courtyard is grassed and good either for relaxing, or taking a drink and observing the resident bats as the sun goes down. They have mountain bikes you are free to borrow to cover the local walking / cycling paths (usually only one gear works, but the hills aren't steep).

Alternatively, and possibly closer still, Parco Ticino might be worth a look and bikes can be hired there as well. Gattinara is worth a look if wine and historic centres appeal. Novara is a decent sized city, architecturally interesting and nicely open to walk around.

One place over the border in Piemonte, but very close indeed to Malpensa - Ghemme. In itself, it's nothing to look at, being a criss-cross of streets with virtually no greenery in the centre... yet very few cars use the roads so it's easy to walk / cycle around. There is an old mediaeval centre incorporating one of the wine producers (Rovelotti IIRC) but it's not particularly big. So why go there?

It is a pretty friendly place, including one of the happiest gelato sellers I've come across, a lady who appears as if she's amazed someone pays her to do what she loves. No fancy restaurants in the centre of town, but Al Gufo Nero did very tasty food for lunch via a carvery trolley (I braved the braised donkey and it was wonderful). Plenty of reasonably priced wineries, with Cantalupo being the best known (and hence priciest). We've loved visiting a smaller, more modest place called Mirù, where pretty decent wines can be bought for ~ €7 a bottle, though their Ghemme is a little more. The big appeal for us though, is the Agriturismo Il Cavenago, best visited on a weekend (or when they have the kitchen open for a group) as the meals are that Agriturismo speciality, the multi course banquet, which requires a little care as it's easy to feel full before the Antipasti / Primi are finished. The Risotto dishes are the best I've tasted - the basil risotto giving me one of those goofy grins. The rooms are large and full of old oak, with similarly impressive/traditional furnishings, but the bathrooms are by comparison very modern (a good combo in our book). The central courtyard is grassed and good either for relaxing, or taking a drink and observing the resident bats as the sun goes down. They have mountain bikes you are free to borrow to cover the local walking / cycling paths (usually only one gear works, but the hills aren't steep).

Alternatively, and possibly closer still, Parco Ticino might be worth a look and bikes can be hired there as well. Gattinara is worth a look if wine and historic centres appeal. Novara is a decent sized city, architecturally interesting and nicely open to walk around.
Thanks much. The agriturismo is already booked for 9/13. But I'll look into the other cities. Gattinara. Sounds interesting

If you have six days to tour around, then I would definitely book a night or two in Torino - the showcase for all of what is great in Piemonte. History, architecture, art, a culinary heaven, the Po river - a very impressive and inviting city.
Driving in the hilly countryside just south of the Po - in what is known as the Monferrato - especially in the beginning of September, just before the grape harvest, will get you hooked for the next trip...

If the above are not suitable, then in addition to Ian's suggestions, you might consider Biella and Ivrea, albeit a bit further away, but both lovely towns, with Biella the more bustling of the two. Or perhaps go through Vigevano for its grand piazza and a stroll through the old streets.

We've gone straight up to Lago Maggiore upon landing at MXP several times and stayed in Baveno, just north or Stresa. I think it was a little over an hours drive. I can look up the hotel we've used in the past, thought I remember it's rates jumping in the last 5 years. Nice though, right on the lake. Our first trip we wandered in the area over to Lago Orta. I've always wanted to go back and explore there. You can take boats over to the islands in the middle of the lake (Maggiore) where there are lovely gardens, etc. and the drive around the north side of the lake is great.

If you are thinking about Torino, you might want to check out this sloweurope thread. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this city. There is quite a bit to do and see there.

I spent a few nights in Stresa back in the summer of 2009. Some of the highlights of my trip were taking a boat from Stresa to visit the Santa Caterina del Sasso monastery, a day trip to Orta San Giulio, and a visit to the botanical gardens of Villa Taranto.

I am a huge fan of Torino, though it is not a good place to have a car, however a little smart planning could put you somewhere close to Torino, perhaps with an easy route to a good car park or even better - on a train, bus or tram route in. Have a look at some of the attractions outside the city centre and let the car work for you - places such as Basilica di Superga, Stupinigi, La Mandria regional park/Venaria reale.

The GTT site (Gruppo Trasporti Torino) has a pdf of the bus/tram/metro routes (plus full timetables) which should help, but also worth just looking on the map for train stations and then checking on trenitalia.com for the timings. Google maps seem to have the bus/tram timings all loaded up.

Places such as Chieri, Mongreno, L'eremo/Borgo Po might be worth a look, especially the latter ones if the Basilica di Superga appeals. Not everywhere has charm, so have a good look around and then use google maps to confirm it looks ideal.

It is a great city, but definitely a place to see on foot, bus/tram or even a boat if they're running. They also have the (becoming common) bike hiring approach, where you pick up and drop off at designated bike racks (all automated).

Hello -Highlight of our recent visit to Como was lunch at this farm style restaurant high above Bellagio. They will pick you up from the ferry, if rather not drive, though prob can ferry over (not sure from west side of lake which is the appropriate ferry stop). Views were jaw dropping and food was very good, if simple. Don't miss the chesse platter from their cows. Attached is the view from our table.
http://www.baitabelvedere.it/english/

Attachments

• IMG_9489.JPG
    IMG_9489.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 26
Lots of interesting towns and villages in western Lombardia and eastern Piemonte.....take a look at Vigevano (one of the most striking piazzas in Italy), Casale Monferrato (a very livable town with one of the most beautiful synagogues in Italy), Mortara (center of goose culture). There are lots more.....

Since you mentioned Lombardia, two small cities which we've very much enjoyed visiting are Cremona and Bergamo.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina