• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London calling..two months Spring 2024

michele29

10+ Posts
Planner here..thinking of London area..no more than 1/2 hour away from Central London- for two months in spring 2024.
Kew looks good..any other suggestions? I do NOT want or seek rural/ country bliss.
i want someplace with a life of its own and a reasonable tube/ train to the city.
Ideally, I’ d like something in London, but that might be too pricey for a long stay. Maybe not? I don’t have to be in Mayfair.

Thanks in advance..

Years and years ago we watched a show called "The Search For The Perfect English Village". Barnes was featured as one of the cities (it might have even been the winner), so we took a daytrip to Barnes and found it to be a very charming village. I suspect lodging will still be pricey, but (hopefully) not as bad a central London. Happy hunting!

Yes, I would suggest any south-western riverside suburb: Richmond, Putney, Chiswick, maybe Kingston. I'm sure there are plenty of nice areas in other parts of London, but I was brought up in the south-west.

Don't forget that the fastest public transport into central London from south of the river is usually by National Rail train rather than the (relatively few) Underground lines.

Many thanks to both of you..
Took a virtual vacation yesterday to Barnes, Richmond, and Putney..

Good trip about National Rail, too

Forgot to add the relevant map

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track

Some other ideas - Hampstead (might be too pricy near the village and not so nice in some adjacent areas?) and (this will make some Londoners laugh, but it's more gentrified and cosmopolitan nowadays).... Balham?

If you haven't already looked at Sabbatical Homes, it might work for you with your extended stay. We've used the site before for a two month rental in Barcelona.

What I'm not sure of, is whether this would be a base to hop into London (and beyond) 2-3+ times a week, or somewhere that has its own appeal such that London trips might be just weekly?

If the latter, it might be useful to stretch out to places like Sevenoaks, Horsham or similar, but if the former, to focus more on places in the Greater London suburbs, or one of the closer rail stations like Kingston, Wimbledon, Ealing etc.

Planner here..thinking of London area..no more than 1/2 hour away from Central London- for two months in spring 2024.
Kew looks good..any other suggestions? I do NOT want or seek rural/ country bliss.
i want someplace with a life of its own and a reasonable tube/ train to the city.
Ideally, I’ d like something in London, but that might be too pricey for a long stay. Maybe not? I don’t have to be in Mayfair.

Thanks in advance..
Look at Horley. Its an exurb but the train (zone 4?) Runs very frequent and has late enough trains so you can see a show. Lots of bandbs near Gatwick and prices are relatively cheap.

Thanks in advance..
I like the idea of Kew village or Richmond, I know them both well. I live just 30 minutes away by car.
I am concerned that train strikes may still be the norm then however so please think about that. My travels have been severely curtailed for the last year because of them. The situation may have improved by then but who knows.
I’m flying to Amsterdam tomorrow instead of taking the train because of this week end’s strikes for example but there are still strikes in France which impact my journey.
I’m thinking you’ll want to self cater ? I certainly would for that amount of time.
Your trip is an exciting prospect. When I get home I’ll put my thinking cap on as I travel extensively around London by public transport,
Happy planning !

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina