• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London For 4 weeks - Where?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Pre-covid I'd always have 3 years worth of trips in the making, but post-Covid (and older!), I've slowed that down to just planning for the next year. So, with 2023 all booked, my thoughts naturally turn to 2024, but with a bit more caution. Will be both still be up to the rigors of traveling? Will we want to try something new, or revisit an old favorite? So many choices!

I've loosened the purse strings considerably, figuring that if I need to borrow from myself to travel now, it's okay to repay myself later when I'm no longer traveling, (or when perhaps we're only traveling domestically). I'm never going to splurge for first class airfare, or the fanciest hotel, but I'm trying to allow us some luxuries like having a car pick us up at the airport instead of dragging our suitcases on and off trains - definitely worth it!

So - my newest plan is to spend 3-4 weeks in London, in an apartment, pretending that I LIVE in London - something I've wanted to do since I was 12 years old. I was hoping to combine this with a TA cruise from the states to Southampton, but so far I'm not finding the price and dates I want. I'm think May might be the perfect month to spend in London. We won't need a car, but can still day-trip by train if we want to. Being well located is the most important thing. I want to be in a nice neighborhood with shops nearby. Obviously close to a tube station, and a bus stop might tempt me to take the bus! The building would need to have an elevator. Based on my initial look at Air BnB listings, £4000 is probably the least we could expect to pay.

I know there are resources here for rentals, and I'll start checking them, but for now, I'm wondering what locations you would recommend. I've stayed near Victoria Station many times, but also enjoyed the time we stayed near the Aldgate Tube Station. I also remember liking the area just north of Kensington Park, off Bayswater Rd.I think as long as we're well connected we'll be happy. I'm happy to consider all your suggestions! TIA

Last edited:
We were only a week in London in late April last year and stayed in a hotel on The Strand. It was far too busy and touristy a neighborhood for us, but we were near Covent Garden and enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Rules. The previous trip we stayed in South Kensington and loved it. We were a block from the S. Ken tube station which made getting around a cinch and it's 11 minutes to Paddington with trains going further afield. The V&A museum, Kensington Palace, and Hyde Park are an easy walk.

Last year was our first trip in spring to London. We spent an entire day among the tulips at Kew Gardens and had a pleasant supper at a pub adjacent to the tube station in Kew before heading back to the city. If you decide on a TALT crossing, there's no better way to travel than the Queen Mary 2. It's how we returned to the US last year. If you can spring for a balcony room (not sheltered or obstructed view) do so. It's worth it. QM2 is a fantastic ship with a splendid crew. You can't help but unplug from the rest of the world and an added benefit is no jet lag when you arrive.

We were only a week in London in late April last year and stayed in a hotel on The Strand. It was far too busy and touristy a neighborhood for us, but we were near Covent Garden and enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Rules. The previous trip we stayed in South Kensington and loved it. We were a block from the S. Ken tube station which made getting around a cinch and it's 11 minutes to Paddington with trains going further afield. The V&A museum, Kensington Palace, and Hyde Park are an easy walk.

Last year was our first trip in spring to London. We spent an entire day among the tulips at Kew Gardens and had a pleasant supper at a pub adjacent to the tube station in Kew before heading back to the city. If you decide on a TALT crossing, there's no better way to travel than the Queen Mary 2. It's how we returned to the US last year. If you can spring for a balcony room (not sheltered or obstructed view) do so. It's worth it. QM2 is a fantastic ship with a splendid crew. You can't help but unplug from the rest of the world and an added benefit is no jet lag when you arrive.
Taking the QE/QM2 has long been a dream, but the schedules just don't work for us. In my dream scenario (years ago!), I would fly to London on the Concorde (getting there super fast!), then return on the (then) QE2, easing back into America. Of course once the Concorde was gone, that dream disappeared. For this trip I was hoping to take the QM2 TO England, thus avoiding jetlag completely, but I don't think it's in the cards.

When we have visited London for a week or more, we have rented an apartment through a company called Ivy Lettings…we have been very pleased. The last time, our apartment was a block off the Thames at Tower Bridge…an easy walk to the Tower Hill tube station.

When we have visited London for a week or more, we have rented an apartment through a company called Ivy Lettings…we have been very pleased. The last time, our apartment was a block off the Thames at Tower Bridge…an easy walk to the Tower Hill tube station.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm still trying to decide on the best neighborhood!

We spent a month in London in 2018 or so..October
rented a flat from Ivy Lettings in Chelsea. Loved it! Ivy was very responsive, helpful etc
PM me for more info..great idea..I had no interest in coming home.

We spent a month in London in 2018 or so..October
rented a flat from Ivy Lettings in Chelsea. Loved it! Ivy was very responsive, helpful etc
PM me for more info..great idea..I had no interest in coming home.
Hi Michele! Thanks for responding, and for offering to help. Right now I'm waffling - I'm worried it still might be too much walking for Art. I'll keep you posted!

Pre-covid I'd always have 3 years worth of trips in the making, but post-Covid (and older!), I've slowed that down to just planning for the next year. So, with 2023 all booked, my thoughts naturally turn to 2024, but with a bit more caution. Will be both still be up to the rigors of traveling? Will we want to try something new, or revisit an old favorite? So many choices!

I've loosened the purse strings considerably, figuring that if I need to borrow from myself to travel now, it's okay to repay myself later when I'm no longer traveling, (or when perhaps we're only traveling domestically). I'm never going to splurge for first class airfare, or the fanciest hotel, but I'm trying to allow us some luxuries like having a car pick us up at the airport instead of dragging our suitcases on and off trains - definitely worth it!

So - my newest plan is to spend 3-4 weeks in London, in an apartment, pretending that I LIVE in London - something I've wanted to do since I was 12 years old. I was hoping to combine this with a TA cruise from the states to Southampton, but so far I'm not finding the price and dates I want. I'm think May might be the perfect month to spend in London. We won't need a car, but can still day-trip by train if we want to. Being well located is the most important thing. I want to be in a nice neighborhood with shops nearby. Obviously close to a tube station, and a bus stop might tempt me to take the bus! The building would need to have an elevator. Based on my initial look at Air BnB listings, £4000 is probably the least we could expect to pay.

I know there are resources here for rentals, and I'll start checking them, but for now, I'm wondering what locations you would recommend. I've stayed near Victoria Station many times, but also enjoyed the time we stayed near the Aldgate Tube Station. I also remember liking the area just north of Kensington Park, off Bayswater Rd.I think as long as we're well connected we'll be happy. I'm happy to consider all your suggestions! TIA
We spent Christmas in London quite a few years ago in the Holland Park neighborhood and loved it there. Easy walk to buses and the Tube and also to Notting Hill. The location was a bit of a splurge for us--we rented through One Fine Stay--but it was so beautiful and accessible.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina