• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London next week

Phyllis

10+ Posts
Hi, I have a question about best way to get to our hotel from Heathrow. We are staying at the ST recommended Vancouver Suites, 30 Prince's Square, London W2 4NJ, UK. I am inclined to take the tube, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

This is one case where the Heathrow Express plus a taxi from Paddington makes sense : quicker (though possibly more expensive, depending on numbers) than a pre-booked car door to door, but avoids having to get your luggage up the stairs at Bayswater tube and the walk from there.

None of that would be covered by the Oystercard, so you could get those once you're settled in. Bayswater is the nearest tube station.

Or if you wanted to do it all cheaply on the Oystercard, get those at Heathrow, take the Piccadilly Line, change at Hammersmith (walk across the platform) to any eastbound District Line to Earl's Court and change there (same platform, could be either side, though) for an Edgware Road train to Bayswater. But AFAIK there is no lift or escalator there, so you'd have to get your luggage up to the exit and walk a bit to Prince's Square. This way might also take a bit longer than the HEX+taxi.

I would love suggestions on what I have planned, how best to organize our days and how to include some of places in a way that saves time. We have 4.5 days. I am traveling for one week with adult Son.

I plan on doing a lot of London Walks
V&A
Tate Modern
Tate Britain
Museum of London www.museumoflondon.org.uk/mu...lan-your-visit -
I’d love theater suggestions, I have not purchased tickets yet and may buy at TKTS. Fear large lines, not sure what to do?
Double Decker bus, for fun, is there a better line to take with views?
Ottlengi restaurant, I have the books and would love to eat in one.
Afternoon Tea,
Walk around Shoreditch area, this seems like a cute area for shops.
Churchill War room, should I pre buy tickets?

You could combine a visit to the Tate Modern with a production at Shakespeare's Globe.

I am going soon too and I have been doing a lot of research - so, though I have not been to the Churchill War Rooms, based on what I have read you should definitely pre-book. When I go I will try every day with the lottery for Hamilton...

I am taking a food tour in Shoreditch - would be happy to post the link if you are interested in something like that.

I have had two great lunches at Ottolenghi Nopi. Book in advance!

Hi, I have a question about best way to get to our hotel from Heathrow. We are staying at the ST recommended Vancouver Suites, 30 Prince's Square, London W2 4NJ, UK. I am inclined to take the tube, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you
Too funny, I did a search function and your post popped up. I am going to London in July 2019....soon! also staying at Vancouver Suites! I was there 3 years ago but have forgotten how I got from Heathrow to Paddington Station. I believe that's what I did before, took the Heathrow Express to Paddington then grabbed a taxi. Also at Paddington I bought an Oyster Card and a SIM card at the Vodaphone store which I hope is still there!

Mindy

Hello,
Chipping in here as I noticed lots of visitors in London were still using Oyster cards. I use contactless as that's cheaper. Maybe Oysters are part of the London Pass ?
Afternoon tea and the V and A are a good combination in my experience as there are many hotels in the area offering a low key " afternoon tea". You don't need to book weeks or even months in advance as you would at Claridges for example.
For a modern version you could chose The Ampersand Hotel;

The Draycott; https://www.draycotthotel.com/
offers a traditional version of afternoon tea as well as " themed " versions like this week's RHS Chelsea.
Reservations required at both.

Last edited:
Hello,
Chipping in here as I noticed lots of visitors in London were still using Oyster cards. I use contactless as that's cheaper. Maybe Oysters are part of the London Pass ?
Afternoon tea and the V and A are a good combination in my experience as there are many hotels in the area offering a low key " afternoon tea". You don't need to book weeks or even months in advance as you would at Claridges for example.
For a modern version you could chose The Ampersand Hotel;

The Draycott; https://www.draycotthotel.com/
offers a traditional version of afternoon tea as well as " themed " versions like this week's RHS Chelsea.
Reservations required at both.
Hi Wendy! My sister and I have reservations for "Prosecco Tea" at the V&A on Friday July 12th. We will probably get to the V&A when they open and spend time there before our "tea".

I'm borrowing Oyster cards from @Amy so my sister and I will each add £15 and see how far we get!

All the best,

Mindy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina