• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London London

And then, there are always the familiar: HMS Belfast, Tower of London & Tower Bridge

IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

Easter morning, we decided to take the tube to Westminster to start our walk through the parks. There were threatening clouds but it never rained on us, in fact the sun came through every so often.

IMG_0137.jpg

We walked on by the Parliament and Westminster Abbey.....

IMG_0139.JPG

.....to St. James Park.

IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0154.jpg

We passed by Buckingham Palace very slowly through the mob.

IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG

Through parts of Green Park, and finally reached Hyde Park.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0184.jpg

Watched a few children play in the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain.....

IMG_0192.JPG

.....Ending our walk at the Kensington Palace garden.

IMG_0204.JPG

You've covered some distance there - how are the feet?

The parks are looking good - often easily missed by tourists surrounded by famous buildings.

The feet are fine, Ian. Thanks, Susan, for the link.

It was colder on Monday morning. There were a lot less people in the Southbank. We walked to Westminster Bridge. The line for the London Eye was still long.

Borough Market was close but Neil's Yard was open, so we picked up three pieces of cheese on the way home.

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

Last edited:
It was very cold this morning but the sun is out now. We decided to not take a long walk today but we needed a few things from the market. There weren't very many vendors at Borough today but we got what we needed, at least for today - our favorite multigrain bread from Bread Ahead, a piece of a 3-year old Comte cheese, an onglet and a bavette steaks from the Ginger Pig for comparison, and haricot vert.

We then decided to check out Mercato Metropolitano. It is much bigger than what I expected. There is an Italian grocery store plus a lot of ready-to-eat vendors with plenty of seating (like a food court). We almost didn't go in because the sign said "Cinema." The whole place was pretty empty since it was still before noon. We had a pleasant conversation with an Italian fellow who makes fresh tiramisu.

IMG_0211.JPG

This is the place next door.

IMG_0212.JPG

Last edited:
I can feel my hayfever coming on :D;)

p.s. the morels at Borough market are good at the moment.

Yes, just over a kilo (£10 worth). If you scroll down this blog you'll see a pic of one of them at the bottom. (David was sat next to me, so you're saved any pictures of me!).
https://wideworldofwine.co/
I put some comments on this place in Shoreditch on another recent post here - recommended, though more if lots of taste but not too much food appeals.

Arguably Loquats/Nespole are best bought when they don't look quite as good - a little bruising is normal and a much more positive sign than with other fruit. The ones I got went down well, but I've yet to dip into the remaining ones as I still have two left over from the Italy trip. The photo looks suitably juicy!

Friday was another beautiful day for a walk, cloudy but no wind in the 50s. We took the Jubilee line to Baker Street, passed by Madame Tussaud's with two very, very long lines and to Regent's Park. Regent's Park is one of my favorite parks. Our past visits were all during the summer when it's full of flowers especially roses. It has a different look this time of year but still beautiful.

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Last edited:
After our quiet walk in the park, we walked down a very busy Marylebone High Street to the Wallace Collection museum, the only museum that we are visiting on this visit. After enjoying the beautiful art, we ended our visit with afternoon tea in the museum restaurant.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.jpg

p.s. I bought an iPhone 7 plus a couple of weeks before this trip and I am very happy with the camera.

Yes the pics are very good. I always believed in having a separate camera, but the modern era phones are really challenging that belief.

p.s. agreed, Regent's park very pleasant indeed. If the weather was warmer, an ideal place for a picnic.

I always believed in having a separate camera, but the modern era phones are really challenging that belief.

So have I. My travel camera, a Canon point&shoot, is about five years old and I wanted to get a new one. My sisters and a couple of friends talked me into getting the iPhone 7 plus. And I am very happy with it.

The camera is so old that a couple of teenaged pickpockets in a Paris metro last spring didn't want it. One of the girls stepped on my toes :bawling:, the other picked my camera. Realizing what they got, they left the camera on the floor. A kind-hearted woman who watched the incident picked-up the camera and gave it back to me while I was still fuming :mad: over my very sore toes. I was happy to get my photos back. :snaphappy:

Last edited:
Hi JT
Bianca e Mora are the Emilia-Romagnan stall I often go to (they upgraded a while back from ordinary stall to what you see here). The Parmesan is very good, but for me the star can be seen hanging up on the right hand side of the photo - Salami sealed with beeswax, which not only allows east home ageing, seems to also enhance the flavour of the salami if eaten young.

p.s. another stall I didn't mention, the tea stall do a rather good spiced 'chai' tea. A nice option for a take-home present/gift, but get them to offer you a taste to make sure it's something you'd like.

regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina