• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lunch spot between Marseille airport and Bonnieux (on a Friday)

TimH

10+ Posts
Hello all. I've just rediscovered this site after getting wonderful insights and suggestions for several years on slowtrav.com (was so sorry to see it go). Anyway, this September we have 2 weeks planned in a rental in Menerbes, but arrive a day early with an overnight at Les Trois Sources b&b near Bonnieux. After an overnight flight from the US, we arrive in Marseille, will pick up a rental car and head north towards Bonnieux. Since we can't check in til 4 pm, we will do some meandering (but maybe not too much due to jet lag) and would enjoy a slow lunch along the way. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Tim

Hello Tim,

If you take the scenic drive via Lourmarin and go up and over the Luberon to get to Bonnieux, I have a couple of suggestions:

Mas de Fauchon in St Cannat.

Or, the Domaine de Fontenille in Lauris (well on the outskirts of Lauris) has two restaurants. One is gastronomique and the other, just as good, is more like an assortment of small plates.

If you really want to push the boat out, you could go to the Chateau La Coste in Le Puy Ste Reparade, over Aix way, which has a choice of restaurants, including one with a star. Plus the setting is spectacular, but you might want to save that for another day when you can hike the sculpture gardens as well.

Or, if you're coming up the autoroute, you could exit at Eygalieres and try Sous les Micocouliers.

If you let me know a bit more about your tastes and budget, I might be able to narrow it down a bit more.

Hello Tim,

If you take the scenic drive via Lourmarin and go up and over the Luberon to get to Bonnieux, I have a couple of suggestions:

Mas de Fauchon in St Cannat.

Or, the Domaine de Fontenille in Lauris (well on the outskirts of Lauris) has two restaurants. One is gastronomique and the other, just as good, is more like an assortment of small plates.

If you really want to push the boat out, you could go to the Chateau La Coste in Le Puy Ste Reparade, over Aix way, which has a choice of restaurants, including one with a star. Plus the setting is spectacular, but you might want to save that for another day when you can hike the sculpture gardens as well.

Or, if you're coming up the autoroute, you could exit at Eygalieres and try Sous les Micocouliers.

If you let me know a bit more about your tastes and budget, I might be able to narrow it down a bit more.

Laurie, thank you so much. Great suggestions (I've googled them all and see a few possibilities). I'd say we are not needing Michelin stars for this outing; just a solid menu, and a terrace is a bonus. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Tim

Another vote for Sous les Micocouliers, a delightful garden with excellent food. And we love Lou Pebre d'Ail in Lauris, 78 ave Joseph Garnier, 04 90 08 27 00 -- great value for the money.

Ann, I had read about Lou Pebre d'ai so am happy to hear another positive recommendation. Thanks!

I'm late to this conversation, but I LOVE the Cafe de la Poste in Goult, and have stopped there for lunch a couple of times in exactly your circumstances. It's a casual place, but the food is very good, and it's very easy stop on your way to Bonnieux.

Thank you, Chris. Cafe de la Poste is on my list for this trip, but if we don't make it that far on our way from the airport, we will most definitely go there during our Menerbes stay. You mention it as a wonderful place for lunch. Was thinking about it for a dinner outing? How is Cafe de la Poste for casual dinner? In our previous 2 trips to Provence, we have never visited Goult, so we're excited to wander about there.

Tim

I just went to TripAdvisor to check their hours to make sure they still didn't serve dinner and I see that it has changed hands! I was last there in October 2017 when I stayed in Bonnieux for a week. I can't vouch for the new management, but it looks like the old tradition continues, of just serving beer and wine in the early evening, but you can order a pizza from the place across the street and they'll deliver it to your table. This makes me sad, because I've been there many times and really liked the woman who owned it, even though my French wasn't good enough to have much of a conversation with her. She knew me as Chrees, and I just called her Madame. I've had lunch there at least once every time I've been to Provence in the past several years, and several times in the spring of 2017 when I stayed in Goult for 3 weeks.

Hello Laurie, Ann and Chris.. I wanted to report back in from our little spot in Menerbes where we are for 2 weeks. Had a wonderful lunch at Sous Las Micocouliers en route from Marseille airport on their heavenly terrace. Plan to return for lunch on our way back to the airport in a few weeks. Enjoyed lunch at Cafe de la Poste in Goult - understandably packed on Sunday and happy we had a reservation, as they were turning people away. We are eating and drinking well, with more of your kind recommendations planned in the days to come.

Tim

Hi Kathy. Yes!!! Weather has been perfect. Hoping it continues for the both of us. By the way, we enjoyed a wonderful day in Cassis yesterday, thanks to your advice. Fun boat trip to the Callanques, a fabulous fresh grilled fish lunch at Vielle Auberge, and a ride along the Route des Cretes...takes your breath away. Thanks again, and maybe well bump into you somewhere along the way here.

Tim

We had a lovely lunch at Bastide de Marie near Ménerbes a few weeks ago.
The weather was warm and sunny so it was nice to sit outside under the umbrella.

We stayed in Menerbes for 2 weeks in September and our daily trajectory seemed to always take us by Bastide de Marie, but we never stopped in. Oh well, next time! Thanks Fletch.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina