• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lyon and surrounding area?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
my husband and I are considering a visit to France, specifically around Lyon & in Burgundy - we've been almost everywhere else but not in that region. We are looking at travel in late April - we enjoy museums, history, relaxing [my husband's 90 so we won't be rushing around] - I'd appreciate any wisdom from others here. Generally what we do is fly from the US [Des Moines to Chicago and then overseas to Paris] & then take a train wherever we are going and rent a car when we get there [perhaps or later] and then find a base to stay and travel from. We don't mind staying in hotels, but in the past Gites have worked out well for us. The main thing is he can't really go up stairs much so I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Thanks!!!!

We fly in and out of Lyon but have not actually visited the city . You would not need a car there.
We have spent several weeks in Burgundy over the years. Burgundy is quite a large region with several possibilities for bases depending on what you want to do. Most people go to the Dijon/Beaune area which is the centre of one wine growing region of Burgundy. It has been several years since we were in that part, but we hope to return there next year, all being well.

We have spent a few weeks in southern Burgundy in from Macon and around Cluny. We sometimes finish here as it is not too far to Lyon airport to fly home.
We have also stayed further north in Villeneuve sur Yonne which is almost out of Burgundy.
We always stay in gites which we book through Gites de France and have always been happy with them. We tend to stay in small villages or in the countryside which does not suit a lot of people, but we enjoy it.

In 2014 we stayed near Cluny in a small village, and then went up to Villeneuve sur Yonne. This is my report on our stay. Scroll through to Saone et Loire and then the Yonne sections.

In 2016 we stayed in Charolles in the Brionnais part of southern Burgundy. Once again the Saone et Loire at the end.

In 2018 we stayed in Lugny which is in from Macon. Saone et Loire again at the end.

We are definitely slow travellers, but you may find something which could be of interest.

Bon voyage.

Thank you so much! I'll check these out = we don't have as much time as you have - we are 'slow travelers' as we like to relax and enjoy and get to know the area and people, but don't have the many weeks you have been fortunate to enjoy = but your reports will help me narrow down the ideas.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina